Steak and Mushroom Pizza with Spicy Mustard
If you’re crazy for crust, today’s homemade pizza is going to be the highlight of your day. A meaty pizza, loaded with New York strip, spicy mustard, and sautéed mushrooms and shallots. I suggest doubling the recipe from the get-go.
No one is ever happier in my house than when we make homemade pizza.
My family could be watching a favorite movie, playing a favorite game, or reading a favorite book, but if I say I’m thinking about making homemade pizza, all former activities are dropped and family members come running.
I’ve made this non-traditional pizza recipe again and again for parties and events.
Everyone loves the combination of thinly sliced new york strip steak and sautéed mushrooms. Yet the real kicker on this homemade pizza is the spicy mustard!
That’s right. I skipped the pizza sauce all together and added a thin layer of spicy whole grain mustard.
We have a locally-made favorite mustard called Lusty Monk, that will singe your nose hairs right off, but you can use any whole grain mustard you choose.
After the mustard is spread on the pizza crust, top it with soft caramelized crimini mushrooms and shallots, followed by a generous portion of thinly sliced new york strip.
Then lightly sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
I like to think of the cheese as more of a garnish on this pizza. It’s really all about the mustard, new york strip and mushrooms. The amalgamation of the three, along with a bubbly crust, makes for a fabulous pizza no one can resist!
Homemade Pizza + Mustard + New York Strip
- 1 pound pizza dough homemade or store-bought
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms sliced thin
- 3-4 shallots sliced thin (1 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup spicy whole grain mustard
- 8 ounces New York strip steak sliced thin against the grain
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F and place a pizza stone in the oven to heat. On a piece of parchment paper, roll out (or stretch) the pizza crust into a large 14-inch circle. Brush the pizza crust with 1 tablespoon olive oil and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat, and add the butter, sliced crimini mushrooms and sliced shallots. Salt and pepper to taste. Then stir and saute for 10-12 minutes, until the onions and mushrooms are soft and slightly caramelized.
- Re-stretch the pizza crust and spread a thin layer of spicy mustard over the top of the crust. Then spread the sauteed onions and mushrooms over the mustard. Place pieces of thinly sliced steak over the mushrooms, followed by a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Using a flat baking sheet or pizza paddle, slide the pizza onto the hot pizza stone and bake for 7-10 minutes until the edges are bubbled and crusty. Remove the pizza from the oven and sprinkle with fresh scallions before slicing and serving.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Pingback: New Ways to Use Mustard
The pizza was delicious, so full of flavor. Easy to make. I will definitely make again. Thank you for posting!
Pingback: 19 Pizza Recipes Worth Taking A Look At - Bless This Mess
Oh my. This is divine.
This pizza is right up my alley! Love the mustard base!
My husband is such a meat lover, he has to have meat every dinner, and simple pizzas with veggie toppings won’t do it for him. But your pizza with the New York strip on top – wow, he would love this one!
Wow I love the idea of spreading the mustard on the pizza :) I bet this tastes amazing!
My kids LOVE homemade pizza night and I can’t wait to add this one to the lineup. What a creative pizza recipe! I just love that big pizza crust bubble on the picture. :-)
My family would LOVE this pizza! I mean, steak? It is so their thing!
I love homemade pizza, what great toppers!
This is so my kind of pizza! Brilliant to add the mustard!!
The addition of spicy mustard is such a creative & great idea!
Three cheers for mustard!! And this pizzzzzzza, so being actioned!!
Homemade is SOOO much better in my opinion! This Steak and Mushroom Pizza looks awesome!
I LOVE MUSTARD!!! And I love you for putting in on a pizza! How unexpected and totally genius Sommer!
So creative! Looks amazing.
Ohh that MUSTARD!! This pizza looks like the ultimate comfort food, Sommer!
Oh Sommer, this looks amazing!
Wow, what a pizza!
I love love love the mustard sauce!!!! So genius!
Beef, mushroom, mustard such a classic combo on a beautiful thin crust pizza. Lunch please!
We too love the Lusty Monk! We get ours at the Trout Lily in Fairview. Never would have imagined it on pizza but this is going on my Friday night menu!
What a fun pizza recipe! We have been making homemade pizza so much lately, what a treat!!
can you suggest a mustard to replace yours? I live in St Peterrsburg, Fl and it’s almost impossible to find specialty items here. Can’t wait for the Trader Joe’s we’re getting next winter, so miss it. When I lived in MD, had 2 of them near me.
Hey Nancy, you can use any “whole grain mustard” you like. If you want something comparable to Lusty Monk, look for one that says Spicy!
We will definitely be trying this. We all love homemade pizza night too! The kids “help” with the dough and add the toppings. I love steak, mushrooms and mustard together so on a pizza it must be fabulous. Will have to look for that mustard when in Asheville next month.
Most definitely! You can find Lusty Monk at “Green Life” and several wine and cheese shops around town.
I. Just. Died. Mainly because I am out of Lusty Monk!! This looks beyond amazing.
Sounds like you need a care package. ;)