Best Chicken Noodle Soup
Our Favorite Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
In all honesty, it’s a little shameful that I’m just now sharing my classic homemade chicken noodle soup recipe with you.
I mean, we’re just shy of ten years of recipes here on A Spicy Perspective, and I have nearly every other variety of chicken soup posted. Yet, as I was looking through our recipe catalog a couple of months ago, looking for just plain chicken soup… I found the gaping hole.
Best Homemade Soup
This discovery brought on an insurgence of classic recipes this fall. I decided to go back to the basics and make sure we have all your traditional favorite recipes posted.
We are still adding our own brand of pluck to each recipe. They are certainly not boring!
Yet, I wanted to make sure we have all the classic comfort foods you desire, as well as simple “springboard” recipes that are easy for you to doctor and make your own.
Our simple, yet dazzling, Best Chicken Soup Recipe, started this journey… I think you will find it was worth the wait!
Easy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Perfect Chicken Noodle Soup raises the bar high.
- It should look and smell comforting.
- It should be full of flavor, yet gentle on the belly.
- It should have a good balance of noodles, vegetables, and chicken floating in a lightly zesty broth.
- But above all, chicken noodle soup should be easy to make.
That’s because, so often when we make it, we are cooking our Best Chicken Noodle Soup recipe for someone we love that is sick in bed. Or maybe we are sick and should be in bed.
Either way, we want the soup to be so much more than the kind you pour out of a can (or carton.) Yet we don’t want anyone to struggle through the recipe.
We are hoping for easy chicken soup with mystical healing properties, that tastes like grandma made it.
Tall order? I’ve got you covered. *wink*
Best Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
So here’s why we think this version is the best homemade soup from scratch…
- It’s chunky and well balanced, with plenty of protein, and veggies tucked between the noodles.
- We used bone-in chicken with skins and chicken broth, to intensify the chicken flavor. (Some recipes call for either bone-in chicken and water, or chicken breasts and broth.) Using both makes a big difference.
- We also enhanced the broth by adding a little bit of turmeric for color, and cornstarch at the end to thicken the broth just a tad. It’s not thick, mind you, and it’s not watery. It’s just right! (PS, the turmeric also offers additional healing properties.)
- We focused on freshness with vegetables, herby essence, and a pop of lemon juice to brighten things up.
- We used dried noodles that feel homemade once they cook.
- And best of all, we did all this while taking out unnecessary steps, so the recipe isn’t daunting.
We think it’s pretty awesome.
Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
- Oil or Butter – To brown the chicken.
- Bone-In Chicken Thighs – Thighs offer the best flavor, but you can also use a mix of bone-in thighs and breasts.
- Onion and Garlic – For zesty undertones.
- Celery – Sliced thin.
- Carrots – Sliced into rounds.
- Chicken Broth – The base of the soup.
- Fresh Thyme Leaves – You could also use dried thyme, if you can’t find it fresh.
- Bay Leaves – For deep herby notes.
- Turmeric – For color.
- Kluski Egg Noodles – Because they taste and feel homemade.
- Chopped Parsley – To add freshness at the end.
- Fresh Lemon Juice – Also for freshness.
- Cornstarch – Just a little, for thickening.
- Salt and Pepper – Always.
How To Make The Best Chicken Noodle Soup
- Brown the Chicken. Set a large 6-8 quart soup pot over medium heat. Add the oil. Place the chicken skin-side down in the pot. Brown the chicken skin.
- Saute the Vegetables. Place the onions and garlic in the chicken fat. Stir and saute for several minutes. Then stir in the celery, carrots, and thyme and saute another minute or two.
- Simmer the Soup. Add the chicken pieces, chicken broth, bay leaves, and turmeric to the pot. Cover and simmer.
- Now the Noodles. Stir the egg noodles into the soup and simmer another minute or so, until the pasta is cooked.
- Shred the Chicken. Pull out the chicken and place it on a cutting board. Shred the chicken with a fork, and stir the chicken back into the soup.
- Freshen Up. Add the lemon juice and parsley!
Get the Full (Printable) Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe Below
Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
With this recipe, you can also make Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup.
Simply sauté the chicken and veggies, then transport the recipe ingredients over to a crockpot.
Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low, or 3-4 hours on high heat.
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Yep! You can also make this easy chicken soup recipe in your Instant pot! See the recipe below for details.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use boneless chicken thighs?
Yes, but unlike the bone-in chicken, you shouldn’t brown them. Instead, just simmer them for 15 to 20 minutes in the broth and then shred the chicken.
Can I use bone broth in this recipe?
Absolutely! Use it in the same proportion as with chicken broth or chicken stock.
How long does this recipe last?
If stored properly in an airtight container, this recipe can last in the fridge for 3 to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More Chicken Soup Recipes You Will Love!
- Chicken Detox Soup
- Creamy Parmesan Chicken and Rice Soup
- Italian Chicken Orzo Soup
- Chimichurri Chicken Lentil Soup
- Healthy Chicken White Bean Soup
- Lean Green Chicken Soup
- Spicy Thai Chicken Soup
- Chicken Barley and Kale Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Ramen Noodles
- Chinese Hot Pots
- Healthy Italian Wedding Soup
- Vietnamese Chicken Pho (Low Carb)
- Southwest Detox Soup
- Green Curry Chicken Soup
- Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
- Creamy Lemon Chicken Soup with Spinach
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Famous Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken and Dumplings Soup
- Chicken Minestrone Soup
- Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Low Carb Creamy Chicken Mushroom Soup
- Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup
- Skinny Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup
- Chicken Cacciatore Soup
Favorite Classic Recipes…
- Authentic Texas Sheet Cake
- Best Mac & Cheese (Stovetop and Baked!)
- Easy One-Pot Jambalaya
- Classic Chipped Beef Dip
- Perfect Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Nana’s Epic Ham Bone Soup
- Retro Spaghetti Pie
- Southern Tomato Pie
- Peruvian Chicken Soup Recipe by Frontier Coop
Best Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 1 teaspoon oil or butter
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs (or a mix of thighs and breasts)
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (1 teaspoon dried)
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 ounce Kluski egg noodles
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Salt and pepper
- Set a large 6-8 quart soup pot over medium heat. Add the oil. Generously salt and pepper the chicken thighs on both sides. Place them skin-side down in the pot. Brown the chicken skin, then flip and cook the chicken another 3 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Place the onions and garlic in the chicken fat. Stir and saute for 3-4 minutes. Then stir in the celery, carrots, and thyme and saute another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, bay leaves, and turmeric to the pot. Then place the chicken thighs in the broth. Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Stir well. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. (Turn the heat down a little, if needed.)
- Use tongs to pull out the bay leaves, and chicken thighs. Place the chicken on a cutting board. Then stir the egg noodles into the soup and simmer another 6-9 minutes, until the pasta is cooked.
- Meanwhile, remove the chicken skins and bones. Shred the chicken with a fork. Then stir the chicken back into the soup.
- When the noodles are almost cooked, measure the cornstarch and lemon juice into a small bowl. Whisk well. Then stir the mixture into the soup to thicken the base a little. Finally, stir in the chopped parsley. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
- Brown the chicken and vegetables on the stovetop as directed.
- Then place all the ingredients, except the noodles and parsley, in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on low for 3-4 hours.
- Then stir in the noodles, cover, and cook another 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take out the chicken. Discard the bones and skin. Shred the chicken and place back into the slow cooker. Stir in the parsley and serve.
- Follow steps 1 and 2 from the original recipe above in a 6+ quart Instant Pot, using the Saute setting.
- Add the chicken thighs, chicken broth, bay leaves, and turmeric to the pot. Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Stir well. Cover and set on the Soup setting for 10 minutes.
- Perform a natural release. It will take 8-10 minutes for the steam valve to drop.
- Then set on manual to simmer and follow the recipe instructions 4, 5, and 6. (above)
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!