Hibiscus Hot Toddy
This Hibiscus Hot Toddy is a fruity and earthy twist on a classic hot toddy, using juicy hibiscus tea, honey, lime, and rum for a soothing yet striking cocktail, perfect for chilly nights!
Why We Love This Hibiscus Hot Toddy Recipe
When the weather turns chilly, there is nothing I love more than a warming hot toddy after a long day! Hot toddies are simple classic cocktails made from hot water, honey, lemon, whiskey, and spices like cinnamon.
While I totally love a classic hot toddy, you can switch it up and make something even more flavorful like this Hibiscus Hot Toddy recipe for the absolute perfect nightcap!
Hibiscus, also known as agua de jamaica, is fresh, fruity, and tart. Combined with fresh lime juice or fresh lemon juice, this is a lifted and bright version of the traditional hot toddy. The honey syrup smooths it out and adds a slight bit of sweetness, too!
Rum works nicely here, but you could also substitute a more traditional whiskey, or you can even try making a warm hibiscus tequila hot toddy!
Ingredients You Need
- White Rum – Rum goes nicely with the tea and lime here, but you can also use whiskey for a more traditional hot toddy!
- Honey Syrup – Just boil equal parts of honey and water together to make honey syrup.
- Lime – Or lemon juice, just make sure you use fresh citrus.
- Hibiscus Tea – You can purchase dried hibiscus loose-leaf tea or use a hibiscus tea bag from the store!
How to Make a Homemade Hibiscus Rum Hot Toddy
To make a homemade honey syrup, heat equal parts honey and water in a saucepan until it comes to a simmer. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
Combine the rum, honey syrup, and lime juice in a heatproof glass. Combine the dried hibiscus flowers with boiling water and let steep for 2 minutes. Add the brewed hibiscus tea to the rum mixture and stir to combine.
To serve add a lemon wheel on the glass and a cinnamon stick for added warming flavors!
Tips & Tricks
- Use a tea kettle, electric tea kettle, or microwave water in a mug for the tea! You want it nice and hot!
- If you use loose-leaf tea, a tea infuser works wonders! Or, you can simmer the hibiscus leaves in a pot of water and remove the leaves with a slotted spoon, if you are making multiple hot toddies at once! You should steep hibiscus tea for about 5-7 minutes.
- This Hibiscus Hot Toddy drink was made with white rum, but it would also be good with tequila, whiskey, dark rum, vodka, or gin!
Frequently Asked Questions
A hibiscus toddy has a wonderful balance of fruity and tart flavors, that are balanced out by the honey and made even better with a dash of fresh citrus juice! If you like a particularly sweet cocktail, you can add extra honey syrup after tasting it!
Definitely! A virgin hibiscus hot toddy would be absolutely delicious.
Looking for More Comforting Cocktails? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Bonita Apple Cocktails
- Apple Ginger Buck Cocktail
- Hibiscus Ginger Martini
- Peppermint Martini
- Plum Ginger Whiskey Sour
Hibiscus Hot Toddy
- 1 1/2 ounces white rum
- 1/2 ounce honey syrup see recipe below
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- Hot brewed hibiscus tea
- To make honey syrup, heat equal parts honey and water in a pot until just simmering.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Combine the rum, honey syrup, and lime juice in a heatproof glass. Combine dried hibiscus flowers with boiling water and let steep for 2 minutes. Add the brewed hibiscus tea to the rum mixture and stir to combine.