Hawaiian Chicken Skillet Recipe
We’re serving this delicious Hawaiian Chicken Skillet Recipe this week… And we’re keeping it light and lean this swimsuit season.
My family isn’t always thrilled about eating just grilled protein and salads every night in order to stay “low carb.” Therefore I’ve started taking some of our favorite comfort dishes and lightening them up for summer.
Take pizza for instance… Did you know you can make a low carb version in a cast iron skillet? Sort of.
In today’s Hawaiian Chicken Skillet recipe I’ve combined the bold flavors of both Hawaiian Style Pizza and BBQ Chicken Pizza, while removing the cheese and the crust.
You might be thinking, “But those are the best parts?!”
Hear me out on this… I love bread and cheese just as much as the next person, yet the toppings of these two pizzas are so tantalizing, you won’t even miss the crust. I swear!
Hawaiian Chicken Recipe
Because this recipe is so easy to make, it must call for simple ingredients! And that is correct. Gather up what you need and dive into this Hawaiian Chicken Recipe in less than 30 minutes.
- Chicken Breast – The main star of this meal. Chicken is a humble, yet high-quality protein that can fit into all sorts of recipes.
- Bacon – Get the thick cut variety! This gives the recipe a nice crunch and bit of saltiness.
- Red Onion – If red onions aren’t your thing, substitute with a yellow onion instead.
- Bell Peppers – Red bell peppers to be exact, seeded and chopped. Red Bell Peppers are the sweetest tasting of their sort and are a good source of Vitamin C.
- Pineapple Chunks – You can find them canned at your local grocery store, or if you already have a fresh pineapple on hand, just chop it up. Nice and fresh!
- Freshly Grated Ginger – Freshly grated ginger always tastes best to me, but if you’re in a hurry you can use the bottled pre-grated kind.
- BBQ Sauce – Use your own favorite BBQ sauce! You can experiment with this recipe a little by using a different kind of sauce each time.
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce – This helps balance out the sweetness of the pineapple, bell peppers, and BBQ suace.
- Chopped Scallions – For taste and for garnish!
How Yo Make Hawaiian BBQ Chicken
Place the bacon in a large skillet and set over medium heat. Break the pieces apart with a wooden spoon and cook until reddish-brown.
Add the onions and grated ginger. Sauté for 1 minute. Then add in the chicken pieces. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then push the chicken to the sides of the pan and add the bell pepper.
Sear the peppers for 1-2 minutes. Then add in the pineapple chunks, BBQ sauce, and soy sauce. Stir well to coat and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
Sprinkle with scallions. Serve warm with a salad or side of rice.
The combination are rich salty pork, ripe pineapple, chicken, and your favorite barbecue sauce is beyond delicious!
Chicken Skillet Side Dishes
Our one-pot recipe is a vivacious meal you can make in minutes, that is satisfying to the whole family.
Serve it with a side of white or brown rice. This Caribbean Confetti Rice would go very well with this particular dish.
Or just make it a meal, and skip the sides.
Perfect For Any Time Of Year
This Hawaiian Chicken Recipe is perfect for anytime of the year but I especially love having it during the summer. The flavors and aroma from this dish transport me straight to the Hawaiian islands.
Pair this dish with a tropical drink and you are basically on vacation!
See The Recipe Card & Video Below For How To Make This Hawaiian Chicken Skillet Recipe.
More Low(er) Carb Favorites!
- Green Curry Coconut Crusted Salmon
- Skinny Creamy Chimichurri Chicken Skillet
- Southwest Chicken Detox Soup
- Low Carb Cloud Bread Pizza
- Low Carb Steak Fajita Roll Ups
Hawaiian Chicken Skillet Recipe
- 1 1/4 pound chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks, 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (your favorite brand)
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Place the bacon in a large skillet and set over medium heat. Break the pieces apart with a wooden spoon and cook until reddish-brown, 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and grated ginger. Sauté for 1 minute. Then add in the chicken pieces. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then push the chicken to the sides of the pan and add the bell pepper.
- Sear the peppers for 1-2 minutes. Then add in the pineapple chunks, BBQ sauce, and soy sauce. Stir well to coat and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle with scallions. Serve warm with a salad or side of rice.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!