Hanger Steak with Chimichurri Sauce: Juicy grilled Hanger Steak and a zesty cilantro mint Chimichurri Sauce.
Holidays can be busy and chaotic. But if there was ever a day to relax with the family, its Father’s Day.
My dad and my husband both love to celebrate their special day in a leisurely fashion. Sit on the deck, watch some sports, take a casual hike, enjoy a relaxed meal. We always plan Father’s Day to be a day of ease.
So that means preparing an eas-y meal, right?
Easy doesn’t have to be mundane. This beautifully charred hanger steak with a bold chimichurri sauce recipe is a wonderful way to honor dad. It takes only minutes to make and will have the whole family awestruck by it’s vibrant flavor.
Dad will love it, guaranteed.
So what is a hanger steak?
A hanger steak hangs below the lower rib area on the cow, hence the name. Texturally, the hanger steak is similar to a flank steak or skirt steak, so it’s great to cook quickly over high heat, then sliced thin to combat toughness. In the past it was known as the “butcher’s cut” because it is so flavorful for a lesser cut of meat, that the butcher’s would keep it for themselves.
I love hanger steak because of it’s rich beefy flavor and thick loin shape, but you could definitely substitute flank, skirt, even a flat iron steak in this recipe.
Traditional chimichurri sauce is an Argentinian recipe with parsley, olive oil, garlic and lots of spice. Its smoky, bright and herby and literally tastes good on everything.
I have a traditional chimichurri recipe here, but today’s chimichurri sauce omits the parsley and is loaded with fresh cilantro and mint to intensify the flavor. The combination of the garlic, cilantro, mint, red wine vinegar, cumin and crushed red pepper accentuates the beefy flavor of the hanger steak and offers a pop of freshness.
Dad’s Hanger Steak with Chimichurri Sauce dinner is made perfect by the addition of Bush’s Texas Ranchero Grillin’ Beans. These zippy beans taste amazing straight out of the can with a rich red chile sauce and jalapenos. Holidays are a great time to count on a favorite go-to side like Grillin’ Beans, so you can enjoy more time with your family.
More Dishes for Dad:
BBQ Chicken Bacon Pizza ~ Miss in the Kitchen
Spicy Pulled Chicken on Cheddar Buns ~ Portuguese Girl Cooks
Bacon Avocado Toasts ~ Panini Happy
Hanger Steak with Sauce Chimichurri
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:6 minutes
Grilled tender hanger steak smothered in vibrant tangy cilantro mint chimichurri recipe.
For the Hanger Steak:
- 2 pounds hanger steak (2-3 pieces)
- Salt and Pepper
For the Chimichurri Sauce:
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed
- 1 bunch fresh mint, stems removed
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat the grill to high heat. Sprinkle the hanger steaks with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Grill the steaks for 2-3 minutes per side for medium-rare, just over 3 minutes per side for medium. Remove the steak from the heat and cover with foil to rest. (Never cut into to a steak before it’s had time to rest 5-10 minutes to redistribute all the juices.)
- Meanwhile, place all the ingredients for the chimichurri recipe in the food processor. Puree until mostly smooth.
- Slice the hanger steak into 1/2 inch pieces and serve warm with chimichurri sauce drizzled over the top with side of Bush’s Texas Ranchero Grillin’ Beans.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Bush’s Beans. All opinions are my own. These are killer beans folks!