Grilled Tex Mex Stuffed Avocado Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Looking for an interesting spin on Mexican favorites? Grilled Tex Mex Stuffed Avocado Recipe, a low carb meal that comes together in a hurry!
The other day I was out running afternoon errands, and stopped by Target to pick up ingredients for dinner and athletic shorts for the kids. What a combination!
That’s what I love about Target… I can pick up groceries, stylish curtains, craft supplies, a super cute outfit for myself, and pretty much anything else I might want, all in the same place. I’ve often thought I could live in Target and be perfectly happy.
Anyone else feel this way?
I noticed they had a good selection of my favorite go-to Old El Paso products, so I grabbed a can of enchilada sauce and a can of refried beans, then headed to the produce department to pick up a few fresh ingredients before rushing out the door.
Less than an hour later (including drive and unload-the-car time) I had made a marvelous quick and healthy dinner my family was crazy about, a Grilled Tex Mex Stuffed Avocado Recipe.
You guys, this recipe is so simple, you are going to love it!
I simply cut avocados in half, and grilled them for 2 minutes flat-side-down to warm the inside.
Then I dolloped some Old El Paso Refried Beans in the center of each avocado. I topped the beans with shredded leftover chicken, a spoonful of Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce, and shredded cheese.
Then I placed them back on the grill for 2-3 more minutes to warm the fillings and melt the cheese.
A sprinkle of queso fresco and chopped green onions, and dinner is done!
The kids loved scooping down into the avocados to get a little bit of every flavor in each bite. Plus, they didn’t seem to miss the carby ingredients in traditional Mexican dishes, making this a great alternative for those on a low carb diet.
This Grilled Tex Mex Stuffed Avocado Recipe is extremely versatile…
You can also substitute pulled pork, sliced leftover steak, taco meat, or any other leftover protein you find in the fridge. You can also make a vegetarian version by omitting the chicken and adding more beans or a scrambled egg.
If you don’t have a grill, not to worry! Use a stove top grill pan or a cast iron skillet to warm the avocados.
No matter how you attack it, our Grilled Tex Mex Stuffed Avocado Recipe is a unique dinner idea this avocado season!
P.S. You can save an additional 25% off your Old El Paso ingredients this month by using Target’s Cartwheel App. Have you tried it?
It’s a free app that gives you a bar code for extra savings on specific items at Target stores. You simply add the discounts you want to your account, then let the clerk scan your bar code at checkout.
It’s pretty awesome. Give it a go!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Old El Paso and Target. All opinions are my own.
Grilled Tex Mex Stuffed Avocado Recipe
- 4 ripe avocados
- 16 ounces Old El Paso Refried Beans
- 10 ounces Old El Paso Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken (use leftovers or a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (could be reduced fat)
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Preheat the grill to high heat. Slice the avocados in half, lengthwise, and remove the pits. Lay the avocados on the grill(cut side down) and grill for 2 minutes.
- Take the avocados off the grill and turn them over. Dollop 1-2 tablespoons of refried beans in the center of each avocado. Then top with shredded chicken, a generous spoonful of enchilada sauce, and shredded cheese.
- Grill the avocados with the fillings up, for another 2-3 minutes, until the fillings are warm and the cheese has melted.
- Sprinkle with crumbled queso fresco and chopped green onions. Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!