Grilled Chicken Tex-Mex Pizza
A Grilled Pizza everyone will love! This Chicken Pizza Recipe is topped with fresh and spicy Tex-Mex flavors. A mexican pizza perfect for party snacks or dinner.
We’ve been making a lot of pizza lately.
Not long ago we had family in town and decided to have a “Make Your Own Pizza Night” on a whim. We kneaded the dough late in the day and had to wait for it to rise. Yet those late-night pizzas were a huge success and my family has been craving homemade pizza ever since.
With all the pizza-making going on, we tried quite a variety of pies: grilled pizza, mexican pizza, steak pizza, wild mushroom pizza, artichoke pizza, and a killer chicken pizza recipe.
So today I thought I’d combine all my favorite elements from our pizza endeavors into one glorious pizza pie!
It’s a grilled pizza, a mexican pizza, and a chicken pizza recipe rolled into one.
Introducing Grilled Chicken Tex-Mex Pizza!
I grilled this pizza on my favorite grilling stone, piled with red enchilada sauce, spicy grilled chicken, and hispanic cheeses. Then once it was ready, I sprinkled on all my favorite cold Tex-Mex toppings, like diced tomato, avocado, cilantro, and scallions. Then I drizzled the whole pizza with fresh mexican crema.
This Mexican chicken pizza recipe is certainly crave-worthy. I can attest to that.
And don’t worry if you don’t own a grill. This “grilled pizza” can be baked in the oven just as easily.
I love throwing homemade pizza straight on the grill. However, sometimes the crust burns before the toppings are cooked through. That’s what makes grilling stones such a great invention.
You can achieve that smoky grilled pizza flavor without your dough sticking to the grates.
Grilled Chicken Tex Mex Pizza
For the Spicy Grilled Chicken:
For the Grilled Pizzas:
- 2 pounds pizza dough homemade or packaged
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded enchilado cheese or monterey jack
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 1 large diced tomato
- 1 diced avocado
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup crema Mexicana or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- Place two 1-pound balls of pizza dough in two separate oiled bowls, and cover with damp tea towels. Allow the dough to rise for 1 1/2-2 hrs, until double in size.
- For the chicken, drizzle the chicken breasts with olive oil. Mix the spices and salt in a small bowl and sprinkle liberally all over the chicken, then rub in the spices. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Then grill the chicken over medium heat for 8-12 minutes. Once cool, chop into bite size pieces.
- Once the dough has risen, preheat the grill to high heat and place a grilling stone or pizze stone on the grates. (You could also place a baking stone in the oven at 500 degrees F.)
- Punch down each dough ball and roll (or stretch) the dough out into a thin 14-inch circle. Brush the surface with oil and allow the dough to rise a few more minutes while you chop the toppings.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of cornmeal over the surface of two flat cookie sheets. Transfer the pizza doughs onto the cookie sheets and re-stretch if needed. Spread 1/4 cup enchilada sauce on each crust, then sprinkle with half the chopped chicken, 1/2 cup enchilado cheese, and 1/2 cup queso fresco.
- With a gentle thrust, slide one pizza off the cookie sheet onto the hot grilling stone. Close the grill cover and grill for 7-10 minutes until the crust in bubbly and brown on the bottom. Use the cookie sheet to remove it from the grill, and repeat with the remaining pizza.
- Once the pizzas are grilled, top each with fresh tomatoes, avocado, scallions, and cilantro. Pour the crema Mexicana in a squirt bottle and drizzle over the top of each pizza. Cut and serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!