An easy summer treat that packs a punch! Grilled Peaches and Ginger Ice Cream, a hot and cold experience that delights the senses.
Of all the parties we throw throughout the year, summer parties are my favorite.
The casual attitude of a backyard gathering, the use of fresh summer produce, the fruity beverages… What’s not to love?
Plus, you can do your cooking outdoors!
Making the most of the grill is a great way to keep your party low-maintenance.
When grilling for a party remember to:
- Stock up on the charcoal or propane.
- Prepare all your grill items and place them on a big tray before the guests arrive. That way, you can stand at the grill and chat, and won’t have to run in and out of the house all evening.
- Make sure to set up the bar and any children’s activities far away from the grill.
- Have a fire extinguisher on hand, just in case.
- If you are not grilling yourself, assign your most attentive friend to the grill.
- GRILL EVERYTHING! The grill is not just for meat anymore. Your green veggies, corn on the cob, bread, pizza, and potatoes taste great with a little smoky char… And don’t forget to GRILL YOUR DESSERT!
I love throwing sweets on the grill. Fresh cut fruit, pound cake, and hand pies are all grill-friendly treats that make an impact at a party.
This easy and elegant dessert of Grilled Peaches and Ginger Ice Cream is the perfect way to end a summer soiree.
As if fresh summer peaches weren’t a treat on their own, grilled peaches have an intense peachy flavor and caramelized face that makes them irresistible.
The best part about including grilled peaches in a dessert is that they take no time to prepare. Simply cut them in half, remove the pits, and place them on a hot grill, face-down. Grill 2-3 minutes per side and you’re done.
Homemade candied ginger ice cream is a brilliant pairing with sweet grilled peaches. It offers a rich creamy texture and a hint of spice. The little bits of crystallized ginger bring an unexpected pop to the classic peaches and cream.
I think Grilled Peaches and Ginger Ice Cream might just be my new favorite thing.
Make your ginger ice cream up to a week in advance and the day of the party, all you have to do is GRILL!
Grilled Peaches and Ginger Ice Cream
- 2 1/2 cups Half and Half
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1/2 – 1 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 6 firm, but ripe, peaches
- For the Ginger Ice Cream: Place the half and half, cream, sugar, egg yolks, vanilla and salt in a medium sauce pot. Place over medium heat and whisk well. Slice the piece for fresh ginger into several slices and toss into the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a low boil, whisk well and remove from heat as soon as it thickens a little. (Watch that it doesn't boil-over.) Place a lid on the pot and allow the mixture the steep for 20+ minutes.
Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or over night. If in a hurry, place in the freezer for 1 hour, until cold but not frozen. Once chilled, Pour through a sieve into the bowl of an electric ice cream maker . Turn the ice cream maker on and churn until thick, 20-30 minutes. Once the ice cream in "soft-serve" consistency, pour the chopped crystallized ginger in. Add 1/2 cup if you like ginger. Add 1 cup if you LOVE ginger!
- Allow the ginger to mix through, then turn off the machine and spoon into an airtight container. Freeze until ready to serve.
For the Grilled Peaches: Cut the peaches in half and remove the pits. Place on a hot grill , face-down. Grill 2-3 minutes per side. Serve the warm grilled peaches with a scoop of candied ginger ice cream!