Cozy Grilled Ham Steaks with Southern Kale Salad. A light family dinner that is big on southern charm!
Now, I try to be a good southern girl… often with little success. Growing up in a straight-forward Midwestern family, the concepts of being genteel and prim took second fiddle to hard work and direct honesty.
I’m ok with that. Yet now that I live in the South, I strive to achieve southern greatness in the kitchen, even if I’ll never achieve it in manner.
So when working with raw greens, I went with subtle southern flair. What’s more southern than ham, cornbread, and greens?
Grilled Ham Steaks with Southern Kale Salad is a light modern take on this deep south favorite.
I rubbed ham steaks with brown sugar, cumin and coriander to give them a smoky kick. Then grilled them for a couple minutes per side.
Next I toasted crumbled cornbread and roughly chopped almonds to provide contrast for the kale.
Finally I dressed the salad with a bright citrus vinaigrette made with orange zest, orange juice, honey, chive and almond oil.
The verdict? Grilled Ham Steaks with Southern Kale Salad is YUM. Double yum.
Yum with a southern twist, Ya’ll.
Salty, sweet, crunchy, zesty plate of Kale-icious yum!
Plus, there is much less guilt involved in eating Grilled Ham Steaks with Southern Kale Salad than most southern dinners.
Grilled Ham Steaks with Southern Kale Salad
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:12 minutes
Easy delicious Grilled Ham Steaks with Southern Kale Salad. Wilted kale salad with crispy cornbread crumbs served with thick juicy ham steaks.
For the Ham:
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 ½ tablespoons coriander
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4-6 thick cut ham steaks
For the Southern Kale Salad:
- 1 large bunch of kale (6 cups chopped)
- 2 corn muffins or cornbread squares, crumbled into large chunks
- ¾ cup roughly chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter
For the Dressing:
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ¼ cup almond oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chive
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the grill to medium and preheat a large skillet on the stovetop to medium-high.
- Mix the brown sugar, cumin, coriander and pepper. In a small bowl, rub the mixture on both sides of each ham steak. Set aside.
- Shred the kale into (very) thin strips. Place the kale in a large serving bowl.
- Place the ham steaks on the grill for about 3 minutes per side—or just until grill marks form. Remove and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, add the butter to the skillet. Pour in the crumbled cornbread and chopped almonds. Gently move around the pan until toasted, 5 minutes.
- Whisk the ingredients together for the vinaigrette. Toss the kale with your desired amount of vinaigrette. Then top with the toasted cornbread and almonds. Best if served immediately.
- Don’t salt the ham. It tends to be salty enough on it’s own.
- Ham steaks are also precooked, so the grilling is simply for texture and appearance, don’t over do it!
- I used whole raw almonds in the kale salad and roughly chopped them, but you could substitute slivered almonds.
- I adore almond oil, but any mild flavored oil will work for the vinaigrette.
- I used store-bought corn muffins for the salad.
Yield: 4-6 servings, Serving Size: 6
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 547 Calories
- Total Fat: 29.8g
- Saturated Fat: 7.4g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- Sodium: 1549mg
- Carbohydrates: 52.9g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Sugar: 22.1g
- Protein: 21.8g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!