Grilled French Toast with Bananas Foster
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Amazing Grilled French Toast with Bananas Foster – A great recipe for outdoor cooking and camping trips using english muffins!
Last summer we made such wonderful memories camping with friends.
Our impromptu weekend camping trips were not only a way to disconnect from the business of life and enjoy the people we love… They also became a fun challenge to see just how creative we could be, cooking over our camping grill.
Breakfast was always the most fun. We experimented with huevos rancheros, campfire omelets, and my favorite grilled french toast.
After grilling quite a few varieties of french toast, unsuccessfully, it dawned on me that english muffins were the perfect platform for grilled french toast.
Now the camping season is back, I’m excited to make grilled english muffin french toast all over again.
Campsite cooking is all about making the most of your meals with minimal ingredients and equipment. Using two-for-one items, or ingredients with extra flavor, often means you can pack less yet still enjoy your meals.
For this fabulous campsite-friendly Grilled French Toast with Bananas Foster I used a couple smart ingredients like apple pie spice (one small jar of blended spices) for the bananas foster and tender Thomas’ English Muffins Cinnamon Vanilla English Muffins.
These Limited Edition Thomas’ English Muffins are packed with sweet flavor, so there’s no need to add vanilla extract or additional spices to the french toast egg mixture. Thomas’ Cinnamon Raisin English Muffins would also be a good choice!
If you grill the english muffins crust-side-down first, the egg mixture soaks into the pores without pouring down on the fire. Meaning, english muffin french toast remains moist, develops a crusty exterior, and keeps your fire from flaring up.
Don’t forget to place a cast iron skillet on the grill to make a quick aromatic bananas foster to scoop over the french toast.
For camping, you can pre-measure the ingredients needed for the Grilled French Toast with Bananas Foster recipe and wrap them together. Mix the rum and banana liqueur in a small jar and place it in a large zip bag with the rest of the ingredients.
For non-campers, minimal prep is required. *wink*
Whether you make it over a campfire, or make it at home on a grill pan… You’ve got to make this decadent sweet Grilled English Muffin French Toast with Bananas Foster!
Grilled French Toast with Bananas Foster
For the Grilled English Muffin French Toast:
- 1 package Thomas' Cinnamon Vanilla English Muffins
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 pinches salt
For the Bananas Foster:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick
- 6 large firm bananas
- 1/2 cup spiced rum
- 1/4 cup banana liqueur
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the grill to medium heat. Cut the Thomas’ English Muffins in half. Then whisk the milk, eggs, sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside. Place a large cast iron skillet on one side of the grill for the Bananas Foster.
- Dunk the English Muffins halves, 2-3 at a time, in the egg mixture. Stand back for safety and spray the hot grates with nonstick cooking spray. Grill the French toast cut side up. Once the egg mixture absorbs, spoon a little extra over the top of each piece. Grill for 2-4 minutes, then flip and grill another 2-4 minutes. Repeat with the remaining English Muffin halves. Re-spray grates each time.
- Meanwhile, place the butter in the hot skillet. Once melted add the rum and banana liqueur. Stand back and let the alcohol burn off the skillet. Once the flame subsides, add the brown sugar, apple pie spice, and salt. Stir until the sauce simmers, then add the bananas. Gently stir and let the bananas simmer for 2-3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve the Grilled French Toast warm with hot Bananas Foster scooped over the top.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Thomas’ Breads. All opinions are our own.
Such a fun recipe!!! Gonna whip this up stat!
These look incredible, Sommer! Grilling the muffins and topping them with bananas foster is just brilliant! Love this idea!
Perfect! This looks delicious!!!
I don’t need to be camping to get down with these!
Oh, my gosh. What a tasty and elegant camping recipe! This could get me to pitch a tent for the first time in decades ;)
Grilled muffins with banana, yummy…. loving it!
You had me at Banana Foster! Yum!
This is so perfect for camping…love it!!
I love the idea of using english muffins for french toast! So Smart! And I am obsessed with Thomas’ Limited Edition flavors!
Grilled english muffins, sugar and bananas…sounds amazing!
These are must make, I just love bananas foster and having it on French toast put it over the top, in the best way!
delicious!!! love anything with bananas!
Oh my goodness – I love this idea for camping! And I’ve got to find some of those English muffins – that flavor sounds amazing!
Banana’s Foster on french toast. Such a wonderful idea. And grilling the bread? Brilliant.
Grilled french toast? Hello, where have you been my whole life!