Cheesy Grilled Chicken Rasta Pasta, a spicy comforting pasta dish with island appeal!
My family and I have been fortune enough to take two vacations this year.
The kids went on their first cruise through the Caribbean this spring, and we just returned home from a trip to Hawaii celebrating my parents 60th wedding anniversary!
Along with family time, playing in the sand, and some thrill-seeking adventures, the food is what I really enjoy on vacations like this. Tropical flavors from the South Pacific and the Caribbean has been on my mind for months now, and I just can’t seem to get enough of them!
Today’s Grilled Chicken Rasta Pasta recipe is a nod to the melting-pot of seasoning you find in the Caribbean islands. It’s comfort food with a punch wow-factor!
It’s a dazzling summertime meal like this that makes the most of grill season, summer produce, and creamy dreamy Borden® Cheese.
To Make Grilled Chicken Rasta Pasta
Rub chicken with curry powder, allspice, thyme, and garlic. Then grill the chicken, onions, and bell peppers to achieve a smoky essence before adding it to the pasta.
Boil pasta in salted water, then add green beans to blanche in the pasta water.
In the same pan, sauté garlic and habanero peppers. Then add the pasta and green beans back to the pan with a little cream, reserved pasta water, and shredded Borden® Mexican Cheese Shreds!
Next stir in the grilled chicken, peppers, and onions.
Stir until the liquid and cheese form a creamy sauce!
The spices on the chicken mix with the sauce and create a lovely Caribbean island taste. Yet it’s the cheese that really makes this Grilled Chicken Rasta Pasta amazing! Borden® Cheese transforms all our favorite recipes into something truly memorable, because with Borden® Cheese, love is always an ingredient.
I used Borden® Four Cheese Mexican Shreds with cheddar, monterey jack, asadero, and queso blanco cheeses. The combination of these fabulous cheeses creates a rich nutty base that accentuates the spices in the sauce, as well as the grilled smoky flavor of the chicken, onions, and peppers.
Plus, Borden® Cheese Shreds melt so well, I don’t need to spend time grating cheese myself.
If you’re needing a dose of island comfort food, give our Grilled Chicken Rasta Pasta a try.
The rich cheesy goodness and punch of island spice will have you humming reggae tunes all evening!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Borden® Cheese. All opinions are our own.
Grilled Chicken Rasta Pasta
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:25 minutes
Grilled Chicken Rasta Pasta Recipe – A vibrant Jamaican style chicken pasta recipe with a creamy cheese base and lots of spice!
For the Chicken:
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken
- 1 1/4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into long strips
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
For the Pasta:
- 1 pound rolled bucatini pasta (or penne)
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced (or 1-2 serrano peppers)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons powdered chicken bouillon
- 2 cups Borden® Four Cheese Mexican Shreds
- 1 1/2 cups reserved pasta water
- Preheat the grill (or a grill pan) to medium heat. Mix the curry powder, salt, allspice, thyme, and garlic powder together in a small bowl. Rub the spice blend over the chicken, covering all sides. Once the grill is hot, grill the chicken for 5 minutes per side. Lay the onion wedges and peppers carefully across the grates and grill 2 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, fill a large deep sauté pan with water and place on the stovetop over high heat. Once boiling, add 1 tablespoon salt and the pasta. Stir to separate the pasta, then cook according to package instructions, usually 6-8 minutes to al dente. When the pasta only has 1 minute left to cook, add in the green beans to blanche for the last minute. Drain the pasta and beans, reserving 1 1/2 cups salty pasta water. Rinse the pasta and beans in cold water and shake well.
- Once the chicken has cooled for at least 5 minutes, slice into strips. Then cut the chicken strips in smaller bite size pieces. Cut the grilled pepper strips in half to create shorter segments.
- Place the butter, minced garlic, and habanero in the large sauté pan. Sauté over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Then add the heavy cream, chicken bouillon, pasta, green beans, 1 cup reserved pasta water, and Borden®Cheese Shreds. Stir to coat and melt the cheese. Mix in the grilled chicken, onions, and peppers. Continue to stir until the liquid and cheese form a creamy sauce. Stir in the remaining pasta water if the sauce is too thick. Serve warm.
NOTES: If you are sensitive to spice, start with half of a habanero pepper.
Yield: 6-8 servings, Serving Size: 8
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 407 Calories
- Total Fat: 13.3g
- Saturated Fat: 5.4g
- Cholesterol: 134mg
- Sodium: 660mg
- Carbohydrates: 36.7g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Protein: 33.6g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
Fried Calamari Salad with Caperberries and Lemon Aioli Next Post
Warm Blueberry Sauce (Ice Cream Topping)