Jamaican Chicken Rasta Pasta
Jamaican Grilled Chicken Rasta Pasta Recipe – A vibrant Jamaican-style chicken pasta recipe with a creamy cheese base and lots of spice! Cheesy Grilled Chicken Rasta Pasta, a spicy comforting pasta dish with island appeal!
Rasta Pasta Recipe
My family and I have been fortunate enough to take two vacations this year.
The kids went on their first cruise through the Caribbean this spring, and we just returned home from a trip to Hawaii to celebrate my parents’ 60th wedding anniversary!
Along with family time, playing in the sand, and some thrill-seeking adventures, the food is what I really enjoy on vacations like this. Tropical flavors from the South Pacific and the Caribbean have been on my mind for months now, and I just can’t seem to get enough of them!
Today’s Grilled Chicken Rasta Pasta recipe is a nod to the melting-pot of seasoning you find in the Caribbean islands. It’s comfort food with a punch wow-factor!
It’s a dazzling summertime meal like this that makes the most of grill season, summer produce, and creamy dreamy Borden® Cheese.
Cheesy Pasta Recipe
The spices on the chicken mix with the sauce and create a lovely Caribbean island taste. Yet it’s the cheese that really makes this Grilled Chicken Rasta Pasta amazing! Borden® Cheese transforms all our favorite recipes into something truly memorable, because with Borden® Cheese, love is always an ingredient.
I used Borden® Four Cheese Mexican Shreds with cheddar, monterey jack, asadero, and queso blanco cheeses. The combination of these fabulous cheeses creates a rich nutty base that accentuates the spices in the sauce, as well as the grilled smoky flavor of the chicken, onions, and peppers.
Plus, Borden® Cheese Shreds melt so well, I don’t need to spend time grating cheese myself.
If you’re needing a dose of island comfort food, give our Grilled Chicken Rasta Pasta a try.
The rich cheesy goodness and punch of island spice will have you humming reggae tunes all evening!
Jamaican Rasta Pasta Ingredients
For the Chicken:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken
- Curry Powder
- Sea Salt
- Ground Allspice
- Dried Thyme
- Garlic Powder
- Large Red Bell Pepper – seeded and cut into long strips
- Red Onion – peeled and cut into wedges
For the Pasta:
- Rolled Bucatini Pasta – or penne pasta would work as well
- Trimmed Green Beans
- Garlic Cloves – minced
- Habanero Pepper – seeded and minced (or serrano peppers would work as well)
- Heavy Cream
- Powdered Chicken Bouillon
- Borden Four Cheese Mexican Shreds
- Reserved Pasta Water
How To Make Rasta Pasta
Rub chicken with curry powder, allspice, thyme, and garlic. Then grill the chicken, onions, and bell peppers to achieve a smokey essence before adding it to the pasta.
Boil pasta in salted water, then add green beans to the blanche in the pasta water.
In the same pan, sauté garlic and habanero peppers. Then add the pasta and green beans back to the pan with a little cream, reserved pasta water, and shredded Borden® Mexican Cheese Shreds!
Next stir in the grilled chicken, peppers, and onions.
Stir until the liquid and cheese form a creamy sauce!
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does this recipe last?
If stored in an airtight container in the fridge this pasta recipe can last for 3 to 5 days. When you want to reheat it, you can warm up the pasta on the stovetop over medium heat, or in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
What if I don’t like spicy food?
If you are sensitive to spice, you can omit the habanero pepper, or just use half of it.
Do I have to use raw chicken breast?
No, you can use leftover chicken, or a rotisserie chicken as well. Add the seasonings for the chicken to the pan with the rest of the ingredients. Then stir in the cooked chicken at the end and warm for 1-2 minutes.
Can I use milk as a heavy cream alternative?
Yes you can. You can substitute the heavy cream for coconut milk, low fat milk, or even almond milk!
Other Great Pasta Dishes
- Greek Lasagna Pastitsio Recipe
- Homemade Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe
- Pappardelle Pasta Recipe with Seafood Sauce Recipe
- Homemade Hamburger Helper (Cheeseburger Macaroni) Recipe
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Pasta (One Pot) Recipe
- Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti with Rotel (Rotel Casserole) Recipe
- Epic Cacio e Pepe Recipe
- Nana’s Best Meat Sauce (With Spaghetti) Recipe
Jamaican Chicken Rasta Pasta Recipe
For the Chicken:
For the Pasta:
- Preheat the grill (or a grill pan) to medium heat. Mix the curry powder, salt, allspice, thyme, and garlic powder together in a small bowl. Rub the spice blend over the chicken, covering all sides. Once the grill is hot, grill the chicken for 5 minutes per side. Lay the onion wedges and peppers carefully across the grates and grill 2 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, fill a large deep sauté pan with water and place on the stovetop over high heat. Once boiling, add 1 tablespoon salt and the pasta. Stir to separate the pasta, then cook according to package instructions, usually 6-8 minutes to al dente. When the pasta only has 1 minute left to cook, add in the green beans to blanche for the last minute. Drain the pasta and beans, reserving 1 1/2 cups salty pasta water. Rinse the pasta and beans in cold water and shake well.
- Once the chicken has cooled for at least 5 minutes, slice into strips. Then cut the chicken strips in smaller bite size pieces. Cut the grilled pepper strips in half to create shorter segments.
- Place the butter, minced garlic, and habanero in the large sauté pan. Sauté over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Then add the heavy cream, chicken bouillon, pasta, green beans, 1 cup reserved pasta water, and Borden®Cheese Shreds. Stir to coat and melt the cheese. Mix in the grilled chicken, onions, and peppers. Continue to stir until the liquid and cheese form a creamy sauce. Stir in the remaining pasta water if the sauce is too thick. Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Borden® Cheese. All opinions are our own.