The Fluffiest Fluffernutter Pie
The Fluffiest Fluffernutter Pie Recipe: A simple decadent pie with peanut butter, banana, and marshmallow filling. This classic American pie is a true crowd-pleaser!
Today’s recipe “The Fluffiest Fluffernutter Pie” may be the fluffiest pie you have ever eaten!
The Fluffernutter Pie is inspired by two historic sandwiches. The New England fluffernutter sandwich and Elvis Presley’s grilled peanut butter and banana sandwich. This is where North meets South and bakes a perfect pie together.
What Is Fluffernutter Pie You May Ask?
Well, a traditional fluffernutter is a sandwich comprised of peanut butter and marshmallow fluff on white bread.
However, this combo seems more pie worthy than sandwich worthy, don’t you agree? The Fluffiest Fluffernutter Pie includes peanut butter, cream cheese, and cream whipped up into a giant cloud of yum.
The filling goes in a piecrust over a layer of fresh bananas, and is crowned with toasted marshmallow fluff and honey roasted peanuts. Yes, yes, it is very rich.
How to Make The Fluffiest Fluffernutter Pie
The Fluffiest Fluffernutter Pie is a peanut butter lover’s paradise.
I chose to make a simple butter crust for this pie. It is a nice contrast to the creamy nutty sweetness of the interior. Bake the pie crust and cool before moving onto the filling.
Layer banana slices over the bottom of a cooked and cooled crust. One or two bananas will do, but if you are bananas for bananas go ahead and add another.
Whipping the cream separately from the heavier ingredients will insure more air is introduced, to create a much lighter texture.
Chilling your pie before you top it is a vital step. It doesn’t need to be frozen, just very firm and frigid to insure your peanut butter layer doesn’t sink.
Meringue and marshmallow fluff conspire into a dreamy adornment glittered with sweet peanut confetti.
To achieve a lovely toasted top you must sit in front of the oven set on low broil, watching carefully, oven mitts on, ready to retrieve your pie at the peak of perfection.
Burning happens in a blink. I actually pull a chair up and crack the oven door open, keeping watch and turning the pie to ensure browning all around. It sounds tedious but only takes a few moments.
The results are totally worth attention to detail. The Fluffiest Fluffernutter Pie you’ve ever seen is ready to be served!
The Fluffiest Fluffernutter Pie
- 1 pie crust (refrigerated, frozen, or homemade)
- 1-2 bananas sliced about 1/8-inch thin
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 7 ounces marshmallow fluff
- 1/4 cup honey roasted peanuts, chopped
- Fit a roll-out pie crust in a 9-inch pie pan. Crimp the edges and bake according to package directions. *Or follow our made-from-scratch instructions.
- Once cooled, place a layer of banana slices over the bottom of the baked pie crust.
- Use a whisk attachment in an electric mixer to whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks. Move the whipped cream to another bowl, set aside. Then use the mixer to whip the cream cheese until fluffy. Once the cream cheese is very soft, whip the sugar and peanut butter into the cream cheese.
- Gently whip the whipped cream back into the mixture one third at a time. Spread the mixture into the pie crust and chill for 1-2 hours.
- Once the pie is thoroughly chilled, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar until it forms stiff peaks. Then gently whip in the marshmallow fluff.
- Swirl the fluff over the top of the pie, bringing it completely to the edges of the crust. Sprinkle the top with peanuts.
- Turn the broiler on low. Place the pie in the oven and carefully toast the top to desired color. This could take as little as 30 seconds, or up to a couple minutes. Do not take your eyes off the pie. Chill again until ready to serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!