Creamy spicy Enchilada Style Mexican Stuffed Shells. A fusion favorite the whole family will love!
Several weeks ago I had the opportunity to visit San Diego, California with my friends from Old El Paso, for an amazing Mexican Food Tour.
In my opinion, San Diego is one of the most beautiful place in the US, so I was excited to take in the flavors of the city.
The more I saw of San Diego, the better I realized just how important the Latin culture is to the city. San Diego is a true melting pot of all different nationalities, and seems to embrace them all.
Everywhere we went, we witnessed history and cultural, mingled with fresh possibilities.
I came home excited to create fusion food, celebrating classic Mexican flavors and attitude, yet incorporating other cultures I love.
So today I’m sharing a Mexican-Italian concept, Enchilada Style Mexican Stuffed Shells.
I used jumbo pasta shells, and filled them with a creamy blend of cheese and smoky Old El Paso Green Chiles. Then I poured green enchilada sauce over the shells, sprinkled them with more cheese, and baked them until bubbly and golden around the edges.
Both the red and green enchilada sauces from Old El Paso are delicious and would work in this recipe. So choice what you prefer, or try them both and then choose a favorite!
Enchilada-Style Mexican Stuffed Shells are so easy to make, yet so rewarding.
The combination of stuffed pasta with Mexican spice is a welcomed change for the whole family, especially the kids!
This simple 10-Ingredient Mexican Stuffed Shells recipe is a crowd-pleaser we will make again and again. Although I used green enchilada sauce, remember, you can mix things up by using red enchilada sauce if you prefer. You can even use both sauces to offer red and green striped visual appeal.
Enchilada-Style Mexican Stuffed Shells are admittedly untraditional, yet completely addictive… Just like the city that inspired them. Thank you San Diego!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Old El Paso. All opinions are my own.
Enchilada-Style Mexican Stuffed Shells
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:30 minutes
Enchilada-Style Mexican Stuffed Shells! Easy and delicious stuffed shells recipe loaded with chiles and cheese, then topped with enchilada sauce.
- 24 jumbo pasta shells
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 2 – 4.5 ounce cans Old El Paso Green Chiles, drained
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce (Green or Red)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place a large pot of salted water over high heat and bring to a boil. Boil the pasta shells according to package instructions, leaving the shells just slightly firm. Drain and place the pasta shells in a 9 X 13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix the ricotta, cream cheese, green chiles, egg, garlic powder and salt. Mix until mostly smooth. Then spoon the cheese mixture into the shells.
- Pour the enchilada sauce over the top of the shells, and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with smoked paprika if desired, then place in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until bubbly. Serve warm.
NOTE: Consider using low fat cheeses to create a lighter version of this cozy recipe!
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1/6th recipe
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 327 Calories
- Total Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated Fat: 4.3g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Sodium: 1270mg
- Carbohydrates: 41.1g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sugar: 4.4g
- Protein: 15.1g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!