Sausage Rolls (Mini Pigs in a Blanket)
Easy Jalapeno Sausage Rolls – Made with only 5 ingredients. These Mini Pigs in a Blanket are TDF with an ice cold glass of milk!
Never Enough Sausage Rolls
Lt. Dan and I bought our first house in 2000. It was a cute 1920’s bungalow in a trendy part of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Among other welcoming attributes of the neighborhood, there was a historic bakery several blocks away that we would walk to on Saturday mornings… Always justifying that we would burn off the naughtiness we consumed by walking to and from the bakery.
This particular bakery was an old-school establishment with a long glass counter holding uncountable pastries, doughnuts, cookies, cakes and pies. Yet the treat I looked forward to the most each Saturday morning was a savory breakfast item, fresh-made sausage rolls.
These juicy sausage links, wrapped in yeasty dough and cheese were the perfect reward after a Saturday morning stroll. I always relished every last bite and was continually tempted to order another one.
Homemade Recipe for Pigs in a Blanket
Since then, we have moved across the country to North Carolina, so it’s been years since I’ve tasted those particular sausage rolls.
However, through trial and error, I have found an easy way to replicate these mini pigs in a blanket at home. This Easy Jalapeno Sausage Rolls recipe brings a knowing smile to Dan’s face every time I make them.
These rolls are ridiculously easy to make at home and offer the same satisfying bite of savory goodness as I remember from my newlywed days.
Jalapeno Sausage Roll Ingredients
- Frozen Yeast Roll Dough Balls (Thawed or use homemade roll dough!)
- Kielbasa Sausage Links
- American Cheese Slices
- Flake Salt
How to Make Sausage Rolls
- You can make yeast roll dough from scratch, or you can buy frozen yeast roll dough balls to speed up the process. Just make sure not to buy the partially baked frozen rolls.
- Once the dough has thawed, press each dough ball flat and sprinkle fresh shaved jalapeno over the top. This gives the Pigs in a Blanket Recipe a spicy bite that is much more fresh and appealing than using sausage links or cheese that already have jalapeno peppers in them.
- Place half a piece of sliced American cheese over the flattened dough. American cheese is the best choice here, because of it’s texture and melting qualities.
- Place a piece of kielbasa on top of the cheese, then fold the ends of the dough over the sausage, fully covering the sausage and cheese, to prevent leakage.
- Brush the Easy Jalapeno Sausage Rolls with milk to help the dough brown, and pop them in the oven.
Soft tender yeasty bread wrapped around succulent sausage, with rich molten cheese, and a fresh bite of jalapeno in every mouthful. Heaven… These little guys are pure heaven!
Plus they are small, so you can enjoy two or three at a time!
You can add as much or as little shaved jalapeno as you like. I like to spice mine up, then serve them with a cold glass of milk to help cool off the heat.
Serving our Easy Sausage Rolls with a tall cold glass of milk not only neutralizes the spice, it’s a great way to get in some extra protein first thing in the morning!
Place a piece of kielbasa on top of the cheese, then fold the ends of the dough over the sausage, fully covering the sausage and cheese, to prevent leakage.
Get The Full (Printable) Recipe Below For How To Make Jalapeño Sausage Rolls.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to make the dough from scratch?
It takes about 20 minutes to prep the dough, which you can find linked throughout this post. However, you then need to let the dough proof and double in size. That can take up to two hours.
Can you Freeze this Mini Pigs in a Blanket Recipe?
Yes, you can freeze it the recipe either before or after baking. If you want to prepare the recipe and then freeze them before baking, make sure to thaw the sausage rolls fully before baking as instructed below.
You can also bake the rolls, freeze them, and then rewarm them later. Place the frozen rolls on a baking sheet, cover with foil, and bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes.
MORE FUN PARTY APPETIZERS YOU WILL LOVE
- Muffuletta Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Baked Rueben Party Sandwiches
- Low Carb Burger Bites
- Sweet and Spicy Fiddlesticks
- Buffalo Bacon Roasted Cauliflower
- Jalapeno Hushpuppies
- Homemade Chick Fil A Nuggets
Easy Jalapeno Sausage Rolls
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut the kielbasa sausage into 16 equal pieces. Unwrap and cut the American cheese slices in half, creating 16 strips. Use a coarse grater to shave the jalapeño into fine pieces.
- Press one roll flat into a 4 1/2-inch circle. Sprinkle a scant amount of shaved jalapeño over the dough. Place a cheese strip over the jalapeños, then a sausage link on top.
- Fold the ends of the dough over the sausage link, covering the cheese completely, so it's less likely to seep out. Press the seam to secure the dough. Then flip the roll over, placing it seam-side-down on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining ingredients creating 16 sausage rolls. Spread them out on the baking sheets.
- Brush each roll thoroughly with milk. If desired, sprinkle with flake or coarse salt. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden. Cool for 5 minutes, then serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Got Milk. All opinions are our own.