Easter Rice Krispies Chicks in Nests
Lemonade Rice Krispies Chicks in Cocoa Krispies Nests: Recently I was given the opportunity to participate in a challenge hosted by The Motherhood and Kellogg’s Rice Krispies. As Rice Krispies are my hubby’s favorite cereal, I jumped at the chance to be a part.
Our team of four bloggers will compete against three other teams this year. Once each season we will come together and create a fun and festive Krispie-licious treat that fits into a certain theme. For each challenge, we will also design a centerpiece to accompany the treat. I’m a very lucky girl to get to share this experience with wonder-bloggers Amy from She Wears Many Hats, Julie from Mommie Cooks, and Robyn from Add a Pinch.
This first challenge was all about Easter. We slaved over the Rice Krispies, tasting and tasting our practice recipes, until we came up with something easy-to-make, delicious, and cute as heck! It was hard work, but someone had to do it. *wink*
With our treat and centerpiece, we tried to capture the playful side of Easter, as well as the colors and concepts that remind us of rebirth and fresh beginnings. Our Cocoa Krispies garden full of carrots, onion, and cabbage was unfortunately planted right next to a burrow of bouncing bunnies. Bad luck for the veggies!
Although my kids didn’t get to participate to the treat making this particular day, this would be the perfect Easter project to take on with little ones. Our basket was easy enough for them to build; filled with yummy Cocoa Krispies Treats and decorated with shredded coconut, small veggies, and Lemonade Rice Krispies bunnies and chicks.
These adorably delicious lemony chickies are perched on crunchy chocolate nests rolled in a mixture of Rice Krispies and Cocoa Krispies. Don’t let the length of the recipe fool you–these are simple to make! Lemonade Rice Krispies Chicks in Cocoa Krispies Nests are a fun family cooking project and delightful addition to any Spring or Easter gathering.
To see all the entries, watch the Rice Krispies Making Memories Circle this week on TheMotherhood.com.
We will need your help to WIN this competition. Next week Rice Krispies will post all four entries on their Facebook Fan Page. Your votes make a difference in the final tally. Don’t worry, I’ll give you plenty of reminders to go vote!
April 15th – Our team is participating as hosts of a fun chat at The Motherhood. I’d love for you to stop by!
April 21st – Rice Krispies® will announce the winner of the challenge on The Motherhood circle.
I am working on this project in conjunction with The Motherhood and Rice Krispies®. I have been compensated for materials and stand to win a PRIZE should our team win out over the competition.
Easter Rice Krispies Chicks in Nests
For the Lemon Rice Krispies Treats:
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies®
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon zest, not compressed (about 2 large lemons)
For the Chicks:
- 1 recipe Lemonade Rice Krispies® Treats
- 8 ounces yellow candy melts, melted
- 1 14-ounce bag sweetened flake coconut
- 1 cup chocolate chips , melted
- 4 ounces orange candy melts, melted
For the Nest Cookies:
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 ¾ teaspoons vanilla
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups shredded coconut
- 1 ½ cups Rice Krispies® Cereal
- 1 ½ cups Cocoa Krispies® Cereal
- Sea salt
- For the Rice Krispies Treats: Melt butter over low heat in a large saucepan. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Stir white chocolate chips and lemon zest into marshmallow mixture. Add in Rice Krispies® cereal and stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Spray a 13×9-inch pan or cookie sheet and a spatula with non-stick cooking spray. Pour Lemonade Rice Krispies® mixture into pan and spread with spatula. Cool completely.
- For the Chicks: Form 1 tablespoon Lemonade Rice Krispies® Treat into the shape of an egg. Dip treat into yellow candy melts and then roll in coconut. Place onto a large piece of parchment paper to dry.
- Pipe eyes onto each chick with melted chocolate. Alternately, you can use a toothpick dipped into the melted chocolate and dotted onto the chick. Pipe a nose onto each chick with melted orange candy melts. Place onto parchment paper to allow to dry.
- For the Cookies: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla together with an electric mixer. Mix the salt, baking powder, flour and cocoa powder together in a separate bowl.
- Turn the mixer on low and slowly add the dry mixture to the butter mixture. Once combined, add the coconut and mix.
- Line your baking sheets with parchment paper. Mix the Rice Krispies® and the Cocoa Krispies® together in a pie pan. Roll the dough into 3 Tb. sized balls.
- Roll the dough in the Rice Krispies, pressing in on all sides. *The Rice Krispies® should completely cover each ball.
- Lay them on the baking sheets 2 inched apart. Press a deep indention in the center of each dough ball with your thumb, leaving the sides high.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes. When the cookies come out of the oven, sprinkle them with a scant amount of sea salt and allow them to cool on the baking sheet for several minutes before moving. Place a Lemonade Rice Krispies® Chick in each nest to serve.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!