Duck Confit Salad
An elegant and easy Duck confit Salad! Perfect for serving to that special someone on upcoming holidays involving hearts and chocolates…
Most of us hear the term duck confit and immediately think of something pompous and hard to make.
Nothing could be further from the truth.
Duck Confit is an old-school French preparation for duck, invented back before the days of refrigeration. Cooking the duck in its own fat and storing it in the fat, sealed the duck meat, eliminating the need to keep it cool.
Nowadays, you can make easy duck confit by placing a whole duck, or just the legs and thighs, in a crock-pot and slow cooking it until it falls apart.
Then simply remove the bones, shred the meat, and store it in an air-tight container, in the fridge, until ready to serve. Although this method was created to store at room temperature, I personally wouldn’t risk it.
Duck Confit is rich with a deep meaty essence. It gives run-of-the-mill dishes that extra touch of elegance and is handy to have around. Shredded duck meat is marvelous in: risotto, stews, street tacos, rice dishes, and today I’m serving it cold on salad.
I love preparing rich foods with ingredients that are bright and tangy, to provide a pop of contrast.
Here I’ve paired luxurious Duck Confit Salad with creamy avocado, with pomegranate arils and zippy cranberry vinaigrette.
The combined flavors offer something truly special. Plus this Duck Confit Salad is so easy to make, it could be a quick mid-week meal, or the first course of a fancy candlelight dinner.
More Duck Recipes:
Duck Confit Tacos ~ Gastography
Duck Confit with Onion and Bean Soup ~ Gourmet Traveler
Duck Confit Salad
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 1/3 cups shredded duck confit
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 pomegranate
- 3 tablespoons cranberry preserves
- 1 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the avocado into small chunks and remove the pomegranate arils.
- Arrange the salad greens on 4 plates. Then top each pile of greens with 1/3 cup duck confit, avocado chunks and a sprinkling of pomegranate arils.
- Whisk the cranberry preserves with the vinegar and oil. Then salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the top and serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!