Heavenly Double Chocolate Cookies with Ginger and Cherries. A decadent treat for any occasion!
I have this bad habit of whipping up batches of cookies at say… 11:43 pm.
You know the story. Diligence and healthy choices from dawn until dusk, then in a moment of weary relaxation at the end of the day, I let down my guard and BAM, cookies.
A complete undoing in 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees.
I should be headed off to bed, but instead I’m a prisoner to a momentary whim, too weak to say no.
That’s the thing about life, you’ve got to live in a state of constant awareness or something will get the best of you. Like Double Chocolate Cookies with Ginger and Cherries.
I remember staring at my report card in seventh grade, trying to decipher what the teacher meant by “needs to be more assertive.”
Then I looked down at my feet and remembered I’d been wearing unmatched socks all day because my mother handed them to me that morning and I didn’t want to hurt her feelings.
Maybe “assertive” means speaking up for yourself in order to wear matching socks. Or putting your foot down when someone is trying to take advantage of you. Maybe it simply means “able to resist late night cookies.”
If the latter is true, I’m sad to tell you I am still not assertive. I’ve come a long way since seventh great, but Double Chocolate Cookies with Ginger and Cherries still get the upper-hand sometimes.
That’s ok, these cookies are worth it.
Double Chocolate Cookies with Ginger and Cherries, buttery chocolate dough speckled with dark chocolate chips, plump cherries, and crystallized ginger.
Did I mention the secret ingredient? These double chocolate cookies have a hefty dose of Kahlua liquor in them. The hint of coffee and boozy essence intensify the chocolate, and the tart cherries and heat from the ginger manage to balance these cookies to the point of irresistibly.
More Resolve-Busting Cookies
Green Tea Shortbread Sandwiches ~ Smitten Kitchen
Raspberry Chocolate Macaroons ~ Epicurious
Chocolate Dipped Oreos on a Stick ~ Dine and Dish
Double Chocolate Cookies with Ginger and Cherries
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup Kahlua (mocha liquor)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, cream both sugars with the butter until fluffy. Add in the eggs, Kahlua, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture until well combined. Then stir in the chocolate chips and cherries.
- Use a cookie scoop to dollop 2 tablespoon portions of dough onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Place the cookies 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle a pinch of chopped crystallized ginger over the top of each cookie. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool on the cookie sheets 5 minutes before moving.