Chinese Five Spice Shrimp with Coconut Rice
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Chinese Five Spice Shrimp with Coconut Rice: I got a fun package in the mail, one that I want to share with you! A box of fresh ingredients and cooking instructions, from Blue Apron, a company dedicated to the same purpose as we are: To help you get healthy homemade dinners on your table.
It can be tricky to feed our families a wholesome meal each night.
I know it might seem like I couldn’t possibly understand, since our business is all about food. Yet even with the know-how and best intentions, there are nights I walk in the door with armfuls of kid clutter, hours of homework-duty ahead, and no idea what I’m going to serve my family for dinner.
It happens. Often.
Last week I received a box from Blue Apron, a company created to make it easier on you to cook and share a meal around your family table.
Blue Apron is a service that provides you with:
- Farm-fresh ingredients
- Easy to follow chef-designed recipes with step-by-step photos
Eliminating the need for you to meal plan, grocery shop, and measure out portions. You simply open the box, and start cooking!
My first Blue Apron box had two dinners in it: Chinese Five Spice Shrimp with Coconut Rice, and Whole Wheat Spaghetti and Meatballs.
You can see the fresh and healthy ingredients for the Chinese Five Spice Shrimp with Coconut Rice above.
All I had to do was chop a few perfectly-portioned veggies and follow the quick cooking instructions to create a hot zesty meal for my family.
Each Blue Apron recipe takes less than 40 minutes to prepare from start to finish.
My family LOVED the Chinese Five Spice Shrimp with Coconut Rice, and I loved that Blue Apron did all the thinking for me. I was able to enjoy the cooking process, and offer up something homemade, without the rush at the grocery store.
Blue Apron ships to more than 80% of the country. Meal kits come in a refrigerated box so that they stay cool and fresh, even if they sit on your doorstep for several hours.
To start receiving dinner kits from Blue Apron, simply click to the weekly menu and place an order. (I’ve been eyeing the Lamb and Beef Shawarma and the Bouillabaisse-Style Fish Stew!)
Your box of fresh ready-to-cook meals will show up on your door step, so you can still have a home-cooked dinner on a hectic day. Meal kits are designed for families of 2 or 4 and can be adjusted to meet certain dietary restrictions.
Because Blue Apron meals are portioned out for you, there is very little waste. You don’t have to worry about leftover cilantro or mushrooms rotting in the back of the fridge.
The portioned ingredients can save you money as well, since you are only paying for groceries you are actually going to use within the week… and shipping is always free!
I was really impressed with my Blue Apron cooking experience. Blue Apron is perfect for:
- New cooks who could benefit from the clear step-by-step instructions.
- People who can never decide what to cook. (Or just don’t want to.)
- Those who hate grocery shopping.
- Gifts for newlyweds or new homeowners.
- And Kids!
My kids made the Whole Wheat Spaghetti and Meatballs later in the week, all by themselves. They had fun cooking together, and were very proud of the meal they made.
Blue Apron meal kits are a great way to inspire kids to cook and give them the means to succeed.
Blue Apron is offering a special for A Spicy Perspective readers today! The first 100 readers to join Blue Apron will receive two free meals off their first order!!
Click Here to place your order and get the discount.
Chinese Five Spice Shrimp with Coconut Rice
- In a medium pot, heat the rice, coconut milk (shaking the can before opening), a big pinch of salt and 3/4 cup of water to boiling on high. Once boiling, cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer 11 to 14 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes. Fluff the finished rice with a fork.
- While the rice cooks, wash and dry the fresh produce. Quarter the lime. Cut off and discard the root ends of the scallions. Thinly slice the white bottoms of the scallions on an angle; slice the green tops into ½-inch pieces on an angle. Remove and discard the root end of the bok choy; roughly chop the leaves and stems. Pick the cilantro leaves off the stems; discard the stems. Peel and mince the ginger. Toss the shrimp with the spice blend; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large, dry pan (nonstick, if you have one) on medium until hot. Add the coconut flakes and toast, stirring occasionally, 2 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown and fragrant. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Wipe out the pan.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the white bottoms of the scallions and ginger; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, 30 to 45 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the bok choy and pineapple; cook, stirring occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes, or until the bok choy is slightly wilted.
- Add the seasoned shrimp and 1/4 cup of water to the pan of vegetables and pineapple; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes, or until the shrimp are opaque and cooked through and the water has evaporated. Remove the pan from heat.
- Off the heat, stir the juice of all 4 lime wedges into the pan of shrimp; season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish the finished shrimp with the cilantro. Garnish both the finished shrimp and the coconut rice with the green tops of the scallions and toasted coconut flakes. Enjoy!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Blue Apron. All opinions are my own.
Pingback: Weekly Meal Plans 10-3-22
The five-spice blend is awesome
The truth is it’s very easy to give your companion s squirting orgasm when you stick into a few basic steps.
If she does, then stare at her again, but after a moment or two.
How to squirt Let’s just say it will require dilution of talent to a
new height and may leave it at that.
The thing with female ejaculation that men ought to
understand is which it actually feels very much like urination for ladies.
One person in our family has a turn any night vacuuming.
Go onto where your subwoofer was originally positioned and
move towards and away in the wall while listening. Your Car
DVD works normally if your installation is done in right ways.
Mini hdmi to component This device is everything which you need for
making your own XBMC media player.
The View – Sonic Pro8200 ($900 road) harkens spine for a days when there wasn’t a lot distinction among cheap house theater projectors and files projectors.
The following formats are supported from the UD9004: BD,
DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD, CD audio, AVCHD, WAV, WMA,
MP3, AAC, JPEG, and Divx.
Five spice and lT Dan’s Drunken monkey
What a wonderful way to get through the hurricane down here in Florida .
This recipe sounds delicious and I love that these packages are so straight forward even your kids could make it (although I’m sure your kids have a bit more experience in the kitchen than most)!
Would this go well with your beef bulgogi recipe?
What a great dinner idea! Love these fun flavors!
This looks delicious!
cute! It’s like a food blog in a box!
Totally making this over the weekend!
I’ve heard great things about this service and it is fabulous you got the kids involved!