Crock Pot Brisket Sandwich Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Crock Pot Brisket Sandwich Recipe (Texas BBQ Beef): We are CRAZY over this Slow Cooker Chopped Brisket Recipe. It’s tender, smoky, and spicy-sweet.
Crock Pot Brisket?
I realize the words Crock Pot + Brisket may seem shocking, especially if you live in Texas.
After all, all Texans know the only way to make a good brisket is to dry rub it, and smoke it overnight in a pit trailer… Right?
The problem is, most people don’t own pit trailers, in-ground smoking pits, or even electric smokers at home.
Yet I’m here to tell you, you can make a killer brisket for Texas-style brisket sandwiches without a smoker. You can even do it in a slow cooker, in your tiny city apartment.
You just need to know a few tricks!
“Spicy Chop” Brisket Sandwiches
When I was a little girl, my dad would often take me with him when he ran to the grocery store for my mom.
There was a little run-down IGA market we would visit, a couple of blocks from our neighborhood. Outside the IGA, right by the front door, stood a rickety wooden shack selling smoked Texas barbecue. You could smell it a block away from the parking lot.
It’s a little-known fact that some of the best barbecue in the world is found in Oklahoma, where I grew up. After all, it’s a state wedged directly in between Texas dry-rub country and Kansas City sticky-sweet territory.
Bring these two styles of barbecue together, and you have a thing of beauty!
But I digress… Those Saturday morning shopping trips with dad are where I learned to love “Spicy Chop”.
For barbecue novices, chopped beef brisket swimming in spicy barbecue sauce is often called Spicy Chop, at least in the Oklahoma/Texas region of the United States.
Texas Chopped BBQ Beef is ultra-tender and finely chopped into small pieces. You never shred it; it must be chopped!
Spicy Chop can be served on a bbq platter with southern sides, but is most often served on sandwich rolls with dill pickles.
It’s like nothing you’ve ever tasted.
Hot, smoky, sticky, slightly sweet, fatty in a good way, dripping with sauce, melt-in-your-mouth, too-wet-for-the-bun-so-you-better-eat-fast awesomeness.
If you’ve never had a Texas-style chopped brisket sandwich… It’s time.
Slow Cooker Brisket Recipe Tips
The keys to making an amazing Texas brisket in the slow cooker, are to:
- Rub it down with spices (a dry rub) with a strong smoky essence.
- Slow cook the brisket for a long long time… Until it’s shreddable.
For the spice blend, I like to use smoked paprika, because it has a fabulous smoky-sweet flavor.
However, if you can’t find smoked paprika, you can use a combination of sweet paprika and liquid smoke.
As for the long time, this is a true “all day” crockpot recipe. You really can’t over-cook it. The longer it cooks, the more tender it becomes.
Crock Pot Brisket Recipe Ingredients
These Texas-Style Crock Pot Brisket Sandwiches are a bucket-list must-make meal. They are perfect for Super Bowl parties, weekend game nights, or any sort of casual get-together!
Here’s what you’ll need…
- Beef Brisket – If you get a piece with a large slab of fat on it, you can trim off some of the fat, but don’t remove it all!
- Brown Sugar
- Smoked Paprika – Or use sweet paprika + liquid smoke
- Ground Cumin
- Cayenne Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
- Spicy BBQ Sauce – Look for a brand made in Texas!
- Sandwich Rolls – Hamburger buns, brioche buns, or onion rolls are good choices.
- Dill pickles
How To Make Crock Pot Brisket Sandwiches
- Dry Rub the Brisket. In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and all spices together. Rub the dry rub over the entire surface of the brisket.
- Slow Cook All Day. Set out a large crockpot. Place the brisket in the slow cooker and set on high for 6-7 hours, or on low for 11-13 hours.
- Chop Chop! Once the brisket is fork-tender, place it on a cutting board and slice it into thin strips. Then chop the brisket into fine pieces.
- Get Saucy. Move the chopped beef brisket back into the slow cooker. Add the spicy bbq sauce to the slow cooker, stir and cover.
- Simmer a Little Longer. Slow cook the spicy chop until ready to serve. When you’re ready to eat, scoop the chopped beef onto buns, and top with dill pickles.
Get the Full (Printable) Crock Pot Chopped Brisket Sandwich Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Freeze Chopped Brisket?
Absolutely! Placed in an airtight container it can freeze for up to 6 months. Once the meat in the slow cooker fully cools off, then store in a gallon-sized freezer bag with the juices in the slow cooker to help keep the meat moist when reheating it. Just be sure to allow the beef to thaw at room temperature before reheating, so the pieces don’t turn to mush as you are warming it.
What About Make-Ahead And Meal Prep?
Chopped BBQ Beef Brisket is a great make-ahead meal! Actually, as with most saucy dishes, the flavor improves over time.
It will keep in the refrigerator for 7-10 days, and just needs to be rewarmed on the stovetop, in the microwave, or back in the crockpot.
Is Slow Cooker Brisket Gluten-Free And/Or Dairy-Free?
Yes! As long as the BBQ Sauce you buy is gluten-free and/or dairy-free the Spicy Chop is as well.
However, you must also buy gluten-free and/or dairy-free sandwich rolls, if making Chopped Beef Sandwiches.
Can You Make Texas Brisket In The Oven?
Yes! This savory slow cooker brisket can be made in a variety of ways, including in the oven. We actually have a separate recipe for that: Texas Oven Brisket Recipe
Love This Texas Chopped Beef? Try More Texas Inspired Recipes
- The Ultimate Texas Sheet Cake
- Texas King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Spicy Texas Pete Vinaigrette
- Cowboy Caviar
- Spicy Cowboy Bacon Burgers
Crock Pot Brisket Sandwich Recipe
- 4-4.5 pounds beef brisket
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika (or sweet paprika + 2 tsp liquid smoke)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 18 ounces spicy bbq sauce (Texas-style)
- 8 sandwich rolls (I used brioche buns.)
- 1 cup sliced dill pickles
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, paprika, salt, and all spices together. Rub the spice blend over the entire surface of the brisket.
- Set out a large 6-8 quart slow cooker. Place the brisket in the slow cooker, cover, and set on high for 6-7 hours, or on low for 11-13 hours.
- Once the brisket is fork-tender (shreddable) place it on a cutting board and slice it into thin strips, against the grain. Then chop the brisket strips into fine pieces.
- Move the chopped beef brisket back into the slow cooker. Add the spicy bbq sauce to the slow cooker, and stir the chopped beef, juices, and bbq sauce together.
- Cover and slow cook until ready to serve. *Give it at least 30 minutes, but the longer the beef cooks in the sauce the better.
- When ready to serve, scoop the chopped beef onto the buns and top with pickles.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!