Crispy Rosemary Hummus, a healthy herb-infused dip with tons of flavor!
For me, snacks are the trickiest part of eating light. It’s so easy to grab pre-packaged crap at a coffee bar, or load up on glorious cheese and crackers.
The only way I can reach my goal this month is to plan ahead. I’ve been making low carb meals to take on-the-go, and preparing better snack options.
Hummus is one of my favorite solutions! It’s rich, filling, flavorful, and easy to pack with cut veggies.
Several years ago I realized you could make hummus even lighter (without giving up flavor) by substituting plain greek yogurt for the tahini.
Tahini is a wonderful sesame paste that lends a nutty essence and creamy texture to hummus, but it’s loaded with fat. Most store-bought brands of hummus add both tahini and olive oil. I decided to add greek yogurt for a smooth texture and (less) herb-infused olive oil for flavor.
The result… Tahini who?
I’ve made this Crispy Rosemary Hummus recipe in numerous variations, but this is a favorite.
Flash-frying fresh rosemary sprigs in olive oil is a multi-purpose venture. First, it crisps-up the tough rubbery rosemary leaves, also mellowing out the overpowering flavor.
Second, the rosemary perfumes the olive oil. So when you add the rosemary-infused olive oil and the crispy leaves to the hummus you get a mild, but well-rounded piney flavor. Plus it takes less than 5 minutes to make!
Crispy Rosemary Hummus is a great snack when guests drop by. I try to keep garbanzo beans stocked for just such occasions!
More Healthy Hummus Recipes
Crispy Rosemary Hummus
Yield: 2 1/2 cups
Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook Time:1 minute
Creamy herb-infused hummus with flash-fried rosemary mixed in. This easy hummus recipe is healthy and delicious!
- 2 – 15 ounce cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- Place the oil in a small skillet over high heat. Once smoking, flash-fry the rosemary sprigs for 30 seconds per side. Remove and place on a paper towel, reserving the olive oil.
- Place the garbanzo beans in the food processor with the yogurt, rosemary-infused oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Puree to desired consistency.
- Pull the crispy rosemary leaves off the stems and place them in the food processor. Pulse until the rosemary has worked through the hummus.
Yield: 2 1/2 cups, Serving Size: 20
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 68 Calories
- Total Fat: 2.2g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3g
- Sodium: 245mg
- Carbohydrates: 9.9g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Sugar: 0.1g
- Protein: 2.5g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!