Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
This Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup recipe is a cozy herbaceous tomato soup loaded with cheese tortellini topped with Borden® Cheese Snack Bars!
A good soup is a meal that can sooth the body and mind like no other food.
Its cozy spoonfuls can iron out the wrinkles in your day, and even lower your stress level, especially when shared with the people you love.
With all the excitement, and anxious moments, that accompany Back to School, soup is a comforting “security blanket” you can pack in your child’s lunchbox.
We make a lot of soup at the beginning of each school year.
Of course we carry this on through the fall and winter. However, I find it’s most helpful at the beginning of the year, when the kids are struggling to adjust to their new schedules and lack of sleep.
The kids can have warm steamy soup when they come home from school. Yet, they love to take the leftovers for lunch the next couple days. Making soup ahead of time is a great way to eliminate the chaos of the morning lunch packing scramble!
One of their absolute favorite soups is this Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup, served with gouda cheese and crackers.
We love using Borden® Cheese Gouda Snack Bars for this recipe because each rich creamy piece of cheese comes conveniently portioned out in the perfect size.
That way, you can place a piece on top of the soup for a molten cheesy garnish.
Or better yet, the kids can throw a Borden® Cheese Snack Bar or two in their lunch box to enjoy cheese and crackers along with their thermos of soup. The individually wrapped cheese bars are sealed for freshness, so they stay soft and creamy. They make fabulous portable lunchbox sides, and after-school snacks.
Borden® Cheese Snack Bars are a great way to add 5 grams of protein to your child’s lunch box… Plus, they’re just so cute and fun to open!
They come in several creamy flavors including: Cheddar, Colby Jack, Pepper Jack, and Gouda.
Delicious protein-packed convenience, what could be better?
The kids love to grab a Borden® Cheese Snack Bar for a little extra energy boost before sporting events, during long focused homework sessions, or right before dinner when they just can’t wait another 20 minutes to eat.
They certainly do take the edge off their hunger and help them stay on track.
Borden® Cheese Gouda Snack Bars are the perfect pairing to our Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup, packed away in a lunch box. The nutty buttery gouda flavor complements with sweet herby tomato soup base and makes the cheese in the hearty tortellini really pop.
Make sure to pack the soup in a good quality thermos container so it’s still a warm and comforting when your baby sits down for lunch this school year. Your thoughtful lunch packing will make all the difference on a rough day!
Check out our recipe card below…
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 56 ounces stewed tomatoes, (2 large cans)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, small
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10-15 fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1/2-1 cup water, as needed
- 8 Borden® Cheese Gouda Snack Bars as a garnish or side item
- Place the butter in a large 6-8 quart soup pot, and set over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, rosemary sprig, oregano, salt and pepper. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to soften the onions.
- Add the canned tomatoes and juices, sugar, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a low boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the rosemary sprig, or put the leaves off the stem and just remove the stem. (Depending on how strong you want the rosemary flavor in the soup. )
- Stir in the basil leaves, then carefully move the hot soup to a blender jar. Cover the blender jar with the lid, and open the vent. Set a kitchen towel over the lid for safety, then puree until smooth. (Steam pressure can blow a lid off a blender and spray your kitchen with hot soup. Be careful!)
- Once the soup base is smooth, pour it back into the soup pot. Stir in the cream and tortellini. Simmer for another 5+ minutes until the tortellini are just cooked through. If the soup seems too thick, add another 1/2 cup of water.
- To serve, ladle the hot soup into bowls. Place a Borden® Cheese Gouda Snack Bar on top to melt into the soup, or serve them on the side.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Borden® Cheese. All opinions are our own.