Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken Skillet, a healthy one-pot dish that is so tantalizing, yet easy on the waistline!
It can be really tricky to find healthy dinner options your family won’t snub.
Although I have come up with quite a few healthy kid-friendly recipes over the years, there are still times I set a meal down on the table, thinking my family is going to love it, only to find they aren’t as excited about it as I am.
This is not one of those meals.
Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken Skillet is quick and easy main course dinner option that is both healthy and seemingly decadent. The silky pan sauce is rich and zesty with a striking tex-mex flavor that seasons and softens the chicken while cooking. It’s fabulous served over rice, or with a side of veggies.
Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken Skillet is just the thing to feed your picky eaters!
The creamy salsa verde sauce is made with garlic, tomatillo salsa, chicken broth, and low fat cheese cheese. I personally like using the “greek yogurt” cream cheese because it’s low in fat and higher in protein.
Simply sautéed thin chicken cutlets in a large skillet until they are golden-brown. Then take them out of the skillet and whisk together garlic, salsa verde, broth, and cream cheese until the cream cheese melts into the salsa creating a rich creamy sauce.
The chicken goes back in the skillet with a couple handfuls of cilantro to simmer for a few minutes and dinner is served!
Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken Skillet is a meal your family will ask for again and again. It’s quickly become one of our go-to meals when I don’t want to argue with (or threaten) the kids at the dinner.
Even when I skip the carbs and serve it with roasted veggies, no one ever complains once they smell Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken Skillet wafting from the stove top!
Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken Skillet
Yield: 4 servings
Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken Skillet – A healthy one-pot chicken recipe bathed in a spicy cream sauce that is light on the waistline!
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets (chicken breast cut into thin pieces)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 ounce jar tomatilla salsa verde
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and once melted, add the chicken breast cutlets. Salt and pepper liberally. Sear the chicken for 3-4 minutes per side. Then remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the garlic for 1-2 minutes. Pour in the salsa verde, chicken broth, and add the cream cheese. Whisk the mixture until the cream cheese melts, and the sauce comes together smoothly.
- Once the sauce is smooth and creamy, add the chicken breasts back to the skillet, along with the cilantro. Warm and flip for 3-5 minutes. Serve the chicken covered in the creamy salsa verde pan sauce.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 1/4th recipe
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 265 Calories
- Total Fat: 5.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 108mg
- Sodium: 1122mg
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sugar: 4.1g
- Protein: 44.6g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!