Coconut Nutella Cupcakes
Itty bitty decadent Coconut Nutella Cupcakes. One-bite treats to satisfy your cravings!
I’ve been married for seventeen years and have been friends with my husband for nearly 21 years. I married my best friend… Something I highly recommend.
There were plenty of boys that crossed my path, prior to hubby, that made the hair on the back on my neck stand up. But they weren’t the sort of boys that I could joke with, talk with, or really be myself with. Lt. Dan was (is) a keeper. He has a special gift for making my heart thump, and making me laugh to the point of snorting, in the same conversation.
There are countless thoughts I could share about marriage. Seventeen years doesn’t make a person an expert, but it does give you plenty of time for trial and error.
One thing I can tell you that has made our relationship a happy union, is that we honestly try to prefer the other person. I try not to push him into giving me my way and he doesn’t push me either. This took some practice, because after all, humanity is selfish by nature.
Yet real love is looking beyond your own feelings and desires.
I let hubs have his way (most of the time) and he does the same for me. It works!
When you know someone else has your best interest in mind, and isn’t trying to manipulate and maneuver to get their own way, you can let your guard down. You can trust.
In our house, a cupcake is the perfect example of this sort of sacrificial love. If I were making dessert for myself, I would always bake a cake with rich layers of decedent fillings stacked high.
Yet I try to prefer hubby as often as possible, so we have cupcakes most of the time. Lt. Dan swears a cupcake tastes better… Even if they are made with the same batter and frosting as a layer cake.
So these Coconut Nutella Cupcakes are for my sweetheart, made with one of his favorite flavor combinations, coconut and chocolate.
These ultra light coconut cupcakes, are delicately folded for an elegant airy quality. Then each mini cupcake is crested with a dollop of Nutella. I could have easily made chocolate frosting, but why would I do that when I can frost with Nutella?
Cupcakes make Lt. Dan happy, which makes me happy. Coconut Nutella Cupcakes for the win!
Coconut Nutella Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
For the Topping:
- 1 jar Nutella (or 2 small jars)
- 1 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Using an electric mixer, whip the egg whites and 1/4 teaspoon salt until firm. Set aside for later.
- Mix the first three dry ingredients and remaining salt in a bowl, set aside. With the mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl and add the egg yolks one at a time, until they are all well blended.
- Then alternate adding the dry mixture and the coconut milk until the mixture is smooth. Scrape the bowl and mix again. Gently fold in the egg whites, taking care not to over work the batter.
- Line muffin tins with paper liners. Fill the liners 2/3 full and bake: 10-12 minutes for minis, and 18-22 minutes for regular cupcakes. Check the cupcakes to make sure a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Then pop them out of the muffin tins immediately.
- Use a piping bag (or a plastic bag with the corner snipped off) pipe a dollop of Nutella in the center of each cupcake. It’s ok if they are still a little warm. It helps the Nutella spread over the top a bit.
- Spread one cup of coconut over a baking sheet. Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, until golden brown. DO NOT take your eyes off the coconut, it burns FAST! Sprinkle the cooled coconut over each cupcake.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!