Looking for recipes to make the season sparkle? Elegant and simple Clams Casino recipe, a fabulous party snack for the holidays!
When we throw parties I think long a hard about what sort of food to prepare… Will our event be casual of slightly more formal? Will we offer a sit down dinner with multiple courses, or just set out heavy hor d’oeuvres?
Although I love grand dinner parties, I find people are more comfortable when we keep things casual.
Just because you decide a party menu will be mostly snack foods, doesn’t mean it can’t be nice. This year forgo the chips and salsa and try your hand at making classier party snacks…
Like Clams Casino!
Imagine fresh steamed clams kissed with decadent bacon and parmesan cheese, balanced by vibrant lemon, fresh rosemary and red peppers. The fact that these beautiful clams are served “on the half shell” provides a touch of elegance to an otherwise down-home dish!
Clams Casino is the perfect party snack this season. It’s cozy, yet luxurious. Just the kind of food we crave around the holidays!
I hate to shuck clams, or any sort of shellfish, and avoid it at all costs. However, I’ve discovered steaming the clams for just a minute eliminates the need for shucking. Steam them until they are slightly opened. Then twist off the tops, saving the bottom half with the barely cooked clam.
Most shellfish served on the half shell are presented cold, on a bed of ice. Clams Casino are piping hot when you offer them to your guests. A creative way to serve Clams Casino, so they don’t teeter around, is to lay them on a bed of dried grains or beans. These dried split-peas made a lovely and functional bed!
Looking for More Elegant Party Snacks?
- 24 littleneck clams
- 5-6 ounces bacon, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (at least)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/8 cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Fill a large pot with 2 inches of water and a place a steaming basket over the top. Place the pot over high heat. Once boiling, add the clams to the basket and cover for 1-3 minutes, until just barely opened.
- Open the clams and twist off the top shell. Lay the bottom with the clam on a baking sheet. Repeat with the rest.
- Heat a large skillet over medium. Add the chopped bacon and cook until brown. Add the red pepper, shallot, garlic and rosemary.
- Sauté another 3-5 minutes until the onions are soft, then add the panko breadcrumbs. Once the breadcrumbs are toasted, squeeze the lemon juice over the top and taste for salt and pepper.
- Scoop the bacon mixture on top of the clams, distributing evenly.
- Sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese over the tops. Bake for approximately 5-6 minutes—until the tops are crisp. Serve warm.