Soft chewy Chocolate Peanut Butter Pillow Cookies, with a fun surprise inside!
Chocolate peanut butter. Is there really any other worthwhile flavor combination?
Okay, okay… There are a few other dynamic duos out there, I must admit. Yet, none we love to love like our beloved choco-nutter.
I’m a big fan of cookies with a fun filling. Thumbprints, sandwich cookies, and of course tantalizing pillow cookies are personal favorites!
Pillow cookies are made by wrapping cookie dough around some sort of filling to create a surprise inside. The filling could be another type of dough, fruit, or even candy. Some fillings work better than others.
Today’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Pillow Cookies are a fabulous treat for fall.
They consist of dark chocolate dough wrapped around moist chewy peanut butter cookie dough, baked together to create pockets of undeniable goodness!
There’s something special about breaking open a cookie to find a unique interior. Especially when the cookies are warm!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pillow Cookies are striking as-is, but you can personalize them for the holidays with food coloring.
Try orange, green, or purple for Halloween, or red and green interiors for Christmas.
To make these tender Chocolate Peanut Butter Pillow Cookies, mix two separate doughs. Chocolate, and of course, peanut butter.
Roll the peanut butter dough into small balls. Then roll the chocolate dough into slightly larger balls.
Press the chocolate dough balls flat and wrap each circle around a peanut butter ball.
Press the cookie dough balls down with the bottom of a drinking glass, then bake until puffy.
Easy to make, and so easy to love!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pillow Cookies are like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups with a soft cookie texture.
More Surprise-Inside Cookies
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pillow Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- For the Chocolate Dough: Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy and smooth. Scrape the bowl and add the egg and vanilla. Beat again until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the dry mixture into the butter mixture. Scrape the bowl and beat until just mixed through. Chill the dough until ready to use.
- In a separate bowl, make the Peanut Butter Dough: Using an electric mixer, cream the butter, peanut butter, and both sugars together until fluffy and smooth. Scrape the bowl and add the egg and vanilla. Beat again until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat again until well combined.
- Roll the peanut butter dough into 1 ½ teaspoon balls. Portion out the chocolate dough into 2 – 2 ½ teaspoon balls, just slightly larger than the peanut butter balls.
- Press the chocolate balls flat with the palm of your hand. Place one peanut butter ball on top of each circle. Pinch up the sides of the circle until the filling is completely enclosed. Flip the balls over, so that the pinched sides are down. Dip the bottom of a drinking glass in sugar and gently press the balls down to 1/2 – 3/4 inch disks. Repeat with the rest.
- Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheets, 2 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 12 minutes, until puffy. The centers should still look slightly undercooked. Then allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 3-5 minutes before moving.
You can add food coloring to the peanut butter dough to enhance them for the holidays! Try green, orange and purple for Halloween, or red and green for Christmas.