Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread with Lemon
The Best Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread with Lemon
I love a good loaf of homemade zucchini bread. In my opinion, it’s one of the best ways to use up an abundance of the hearty summer veggie! Zucchini is tender, lightly sweet, and perfect for baking.
We are big fans of savory zucchini recipes, like our cheesy Zucchini Parmesan Bread and Healthy Baked Zucchini Tots. But for something on the sweeter side we decided to create our version of Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread with Lemon. It’s great for breakfast, a snack, or a healthy(ish) dessert!
This recipe really lets the zucchini shine while also featuring a bright pop of lemon and, of course, lots of chocolate chips. You might be surprised to discover that lemon and chocolate are a terrific combination that really compliment one another perfectly… The chocolate chips tamper the tartness of the lemon, and the lemon enhances the sweetness of the chocolate. Each slice of this bread is fluffy, moist, and bursting with fresh flavor.
Ingredients You Need
It’s easy to make a tasty loaf of the best zucchini bread recipe using mostly pantry staples. You simply need:
- All-purpose flour – or your favorite gluten-free baking mix
- Granulated sugar – can sub with coconut sugar
- Baking powder – for the perfect bread rise
- Salt – a touch to balance the sweetness
- Baking soda – to create a fluffy texture and slightly chewy crust
- Ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg – a great combination for enhancing the chocolate and lemon flavors
- Eggs – large, at room temperature if possible
- Vegetable oil – or preferred neutral flavor oil for baking
- Buttermilk – store bought or homemade buttermilk
- Vanilla extract – for a great sweet, earthy taste
- Zucchini – fresh and grated, no need to peel
- Lemon zest – for just the right pop of bright citrus flavor
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – or feel free to use milk chocolate or dark chocolate chips if you prefer
How to Make Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips and Lemon
This recipe for homemade Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread with Lemon makes two loaves that are perfect for sharing… If you want. No judgment from us if you wind up keeping both for yourself. *wink*
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and set out two 9X5 inch loaf pans. Spray the pans with nonstick baking spray and line the bottoms with cut pieces of parchment paper. Set aside.
In the bowl of an electric standing mixer, combine 3 ¼ cups of flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg on low speed.
Then use a cheese grater to grate 2 cups of zucchini. Next, it’s important that you press the shredded zucchini with paper towels to remove most of the moisture. Missing this step will likely result in the bread sinking, so don’t skip!
Toss the grated zucchini with ¼ cup flour to help it mix evenly into the loaves and not sink to the bottom of the pans.
Next add the eggs, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla extract to the standing mixer bowl, mixing on low until blended. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Then mix in the grated zucchini and lemon zest.
In a small bowl, toss the chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon flour before gently folding them into the batter by hand with a large spoon.
Pro Tip: You can reserve a handful of chocolate chips if you like to sprinkle them on top of the loaves, but it’s not necessary.
Get the Complete (Printable) Chocolate Chip Zucchini Loaf with Lemon Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Divide the Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread batter evenly between the two prepared loaf pans.
Bake for about an hour, until the top of the bread is golden and a toothpick inserted deep into the center of the loaves comes out clean.
Remove from the oven right away, and cool the bread for 20 minutes in the pans. Then flip the loaves out onto a cooling rack or cutting board.
Once completely cool, cut the chocolate and lemon zucchini bread with a serrated knife and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
If the bread doesn’t seem to be cooking in the middle, you likely have too much moisture in the batter. Make sure that you press the grated zucchini well with paper towels to remove as much excess water as possible before baking.
Simply substitute all-purpose flour with your preferred GF-friendly baking mix to easily make gluten-free zucchini loaves.
Wrapped in plastic wrap or stored in an airtight container, homemade zucchini bread will keep well for 5-6 days at room temperature.
Absolutely! Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread with Lemon is great for freezing. Wrap in plastic wrap and then in a layer of aluminum foil before freezing for up to 3 months. Let the bread defrost overnight in the fridge before slicing and serving.
This recipe makes two 9×5 inch loaves, or 24 muffins. Prepare the recipe as described, and spray two muffin pans with non-stick spray. Bake the muffins for about 20-25 minutes, until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Looking for More Delicious Bread and Muffin Recipes?
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins (With Nutella)
- Kahlua Banana Bread
- Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding Muffins
- Sweet Irish Soda Bread
- Chunky Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread with Lemon
- 3 2/3 cups all-purpose flour divided
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini from 2 large or 3 small zucchini
- 1 lemon zested
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Set out two 9X5 inch loaf pans. Spray the pans with nonstick baking spray. Then cut two parchment paper stripswide enough to line the bottoms and long edges of the pans. Press them into the pans. Set aside.
- Set out an electric stand mixer. In the mixer bowl, combine 3 ¼ cups flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Use a cheese grater to grate 2 cups of zucchini. Press the shredded zucchini with paper towels to remove most of the moisture. Then toss it with ¼ cup flour. (To help it mix evenly into the loaves and not sink to the bottom. This also helps the chocolate chips not all sink to the bottom. You can flour the chocolate chips too, but the flour doesn’t stick to them as well.)
- Turn the mixer on low and mix in the eggs, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula. Then mix in the grated zucchini and lemon zest. Toss the chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon flour then mix them into the batter by hand. (You can reserve a handful of chocolate chips, if you like, to sprinkle on top of the loaves, but it’s not necessary.)
- Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted deep into the center of the loaves comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 20 minutes in the pans. Then lift them bread out of the pans by the edges of the parchment paper, and place on a cooling rack or cutting board. Cut with a serrated knife and serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!