Today is my birthday. We’re celebrating with a decadent Chocolate Banana Cake. Rich banana coconut cake layered with a silky whipped chocolate frosting then topped with dark chocolate ganache.
Secretly, I have never minded getting older. I know I should.
I should mind the slowing metabolism and the loose skin…
I just keep telling myself I’m getting wiser as I age, and that is WAY better than being perky and stupid.
Here are a few bits of wisdom I’ve learned over the long, LONG years. I thought I’d share them with you youngsters:
(Imagine me sitting in my rocker, waving a cane at you.)
- You WILL turn into your mother (or father for you guys) so you might as well start liking her/him now.
- Don’t judge parents you see making mistakes out in public. Your deja vu moment will come, when you find yourself doing the EXACT same thing with your kids.
- NEVER trust someone who constantly talks about how honest they are, and how their intentions are pure. Chances are high, they’re a big fat liar.
- If it was a mistake when your friend did it, it will STILL be a mistake when you do it. (Whatever “it” is.) You are not the exception to the rule.
- Just because you are RIGHT, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t say you are sorry. The high road is flanked with uncountable apologies.
- If EVERYONE who loves you, hates your boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance… cut it off ASAP. Your heart-shaped glasses are leading you down a long painful path.
- Thank you notes are still in style; all the cool kids are doing it. Be GRATEFUL for the little things.
- LISTEN when older people are giving advice. They’re not just rattling on; they’ve actually been there. (Ahem… like right now puppy.)
- ALWAYS eat cake when it’s offered. It might be the best cake ever, or possibly your last cake ever.
Now I’m not telling you this is the best cake ever. There are too many wonderful cakes in the world, and on this site, to claim such a thing.
But I will say, this chocolate banana cake is my favorite cake right now. If you love a chocolate covered banana sprinkled with sweet coconut, this cake is all for you baby!
A light, yet rich, chocolate banana cake, layered with creamy whipped chocolate frosting, then smothered in dark chocolate ganache.
The banana coconut cake layers are so equally balanced, it’s not just a chocolate banana cake or a chocolate coconut cake, it’s both. Not that titles matter.
The whipped chocolate frosting is airy and just slightly sweet. Then a hefty does of chocolate ganache oozes down the sides for a rich chocolatey finish.
When making layer cakes, if time permits, I like to turn it into a two day process. The reason for this is visual appeal.
I wrap each banana coconut cake layer well and freeze them. On day two when it is time to frost the cakes, the whipped chocolate frosting doesn’t drag crumbs throughout it, and the chocolate banana cake is much easier to level because the layers are hard.
Once the cake is completely decorated, I place it in the fridge, so the inside can thaw slowly.
This freezing-thawing process works like a charm and makes my odds of producing a pretty cake much higher.
I like pretty cakes.
So I hope your day is as dazzling as mine is sure to be, and remember what I said about liars, apologies, boys and cake. I’m here to make your life a little easier!
PAGE: 1 2