Chicken Gyro Salad with Creamy Tzatziki Sauce
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Try our light and healthy Chicken Gyro Salad with Creamy Tzatziki Sauce, it’s packed with veggies and irresistible!
We eat a lot of fresh salads in the spring.
Partly because fresh greens and veggies are readily available at the newly opened farmers markets, and partly because swimsuit season is looming on the horizon.
I love taking traditional dishes and revamping them into light and healthy salads. One of my very favorite traditional dishes to convert to salad form is a chicken gyro recipe. I am crazy over the combination of zesty grilled chicken, cucumber, mint leaves, and thick tzatziki sauce.
I know, I know… traditional tzatziki sauce is somewhat thin. But I like mine to have a little stand-up power. I make tzatziki sauce extra thick and creamy with lots of cucumber, lemon zest, and dill.
It is sooooooo good guys. So good!
And of course it’s the perfect topper for a chicken gyro recipe, or a Chicken Gyro Salad with Creamy Tzatziki Sauce.
So today I’ve simply reduced the bread and increased the greens to make a lighter version of this beloved dish.
You could use this Chicken Gyro Salad with Creamy Tzatziki Sauce recipe to make marvelous classic gyro sandwiches, but if you are planning that beach trip or needing to buy shorts for the season… Why not go for a salad?
I promise, you won’t miss the extra bread.
How to Make Chicken Gyro Salad with Creamy Tzatziki Sauce
Just whip up the tzatziki sauce, grill the marinated chicken, and pile on the veggie toppings.
Give each salad a couple flat bread wedges and a dollop of tzatziki sauce, and you have a very satisfying and healthy dinner everyone will love.
I say bring on the greens and the warm weather will follow!
Chicken Gyro Salad with Creamy Tzatziki Sauce
For the Tzatziki Sauce:
For the Chicken:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced (large)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper
For the Salad:
- 2 pieces flatbread
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 1 cup sliced tomato wedges
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce (2 cups for classic gyros)
- Preheat the grill to high heat. Place the chicken in a baking dish and top with vinegar, oil, herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Mix to coat and allow the chicken to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- For the Tzatziki Sauce: Cut the cucumber in half. Use half for the tzatziki sauce and slice the remaining half for the salad. Peel the half of the cucumber for the tzatziki sauce and grate it with a cheese grater. Wrap the shredded cucumber in paper towel and squeeze it firmly over the sink to extract extra moisture. Then place the cumber in a bowl. Add the yogurt, zest on 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, dill, salt and pepper. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Once the grill is hot, lower the heat to medium and grill the chicken for approximately 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken and allow it to rest 5 minutes before cutting.
- For the Salad: Pile chopped romaine in 4 bowls. Cut the flat bread into wedges. Slice the chicken and layer on top of each salad. Then arrange mint, red onion, cucumbers, tomato, flat bread wedges and tzatziki sauce all around the chicken.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Pingback: 15 2B Mindset Chicken Recipes for Lunch - Best of Life Magazine
Pingback: Healthy Rainbow Chopped Salad - A Spicy Perspective
Stumbled across this gem on pintrest. Made the recipe exactly as is for dinner tonight- only alteration was I added fresh mint to the tzatziki instead of on the side. Absolute perfection!
Pingback: Recipes to Remember | annie blog
Pingback: Healthy Breakfast Gyro Recipes Tzatziki Sauce « Recipes for Health
I love how you made this a light meal by making it a salad instead of a wrap. It includes all of my favorite things about gyros (the flavor, Tzatziki, vegetables, etc.) but in a lighter version using lettuce as a bed for all the toppings. Great recipe!
Perfect, we have been invited to a friend’s timeshare in Cancun in a few weeks and this will be perfect for lunch one day. I’ve been trying to decide simple recipes to take with me.
This looks absolutely amazing. Is there anything that isn’t delicious with Tzatziki Sauce? :-D
Gyros make all of us happy, my family would love this!
I just posted a gyro salad today too! Great minds. I love how you presented yours with everything separated, very pretty.
Yum…I love a thick tzatziki as well :) Sounds nice and fresh for spring!
Love this lightened up version of gyro!
Maybe I am just hungry, but this looks so appealing. Its a little smorgasbord on a
plate. Plus I love greek yogurt dipping sauce. It would make an awesome lunch that I could have at work.
I love gyros, what a perfect lunch or light dinner!
This is a wonderful summer salad. Love anything Greek, especially tzatziki sauce!!
Yes, I’m all for trying it on a salad!
Amazing flavors, love it!
Yes to this gorgeous salad. I love tzatziki; I could eat it my the spoonful. I can’t wait to make this salad. Yum!
LOVE this so so much. I’m obsessed with Greek food and this just about makes me wanna have it for dinner!
this looks like the perfect salad for our household!! love it!
Love this healthy salad!!
So delicious Sommer!
Um, this is my kind of salad!! Love the flavors, Sommer!
I love Tzatziki sauce, and I’d like a bowl full of that salad goodness right now!
Chicken gyro salad s so good and I love homemade Tzatziki!
Great salad for summer!
LOVE LOVE LOVE these flavors! Great recipe!!