Try our light and healthy Chicken Gyro Salad with Creamy Tzatziki Sauce, it’s packed with veggies and irresistible!
We eat a lot of fresh salads in the spring.
Partly because fresh greens and veggies are readily available at the newly opened farmers markets, and partly because swimsuit season is looming on the horizon.
I love taking traditional dishes and revamping them into light and healthy salads. One of my very favorite traditional dishes to convert to salad form is a chicken gyro recipe. I am crazy over the combination of zesty grilled chicken, cucumber, mint leaves, and thick tzatziki sauce.
I know, I know… traditional tzatziki sauce is somewhat thin. But I like mine to have a little stand-up power. I make tzatziki sauce extra thick and creamy with lots of cucumber, lemon zest, and dill.
It is sooooooo good guys. So good!
And of course it’s the perfect topper for a chicken gyro recipe, or a Chicken Gyro Salad with Creamy Tzatziki Sauce.
So today I’ve simply reduced the bread and increased the greens to make a lighter version of this beloved dish.
You could use this Chicken Gyro Salad with Creamy Tzatziki Sauce recipe to make marvelous classic gyro sandwiches, but if you are planning that beach trip or needing to buy shorts for the season… Why not go for a salad?
I promise, you won’t miss the extra bread.
How to Make Chicken Gyro Salad with Creamy Tzatziki Sauce
Just whip up the tzatziki sauce, grill the marinated chicken, and pile on the veggie toppings.
Give each salad a couple flat bread wedges and a dollop of tzatziki sauce, and you have a very satisfying and healthy dinner everyone will love.
I say bring on the greens and the warm weather will follow!
Chicken Gyro Salad with Creamy Tzatziki Sauce
- 2 pieces flat bread
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 1 cup sliced tomato wedges
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce, 2 cups for classic gyros
- Once the grill is hot, lower the heat to medium and grill the chicken for approximately 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken and allow it to rest 5 minutes before cutting.
- For the Salad: Pile chopped romaine in 4 bowls. Cut the flat bread into wedges. Slice the chicken and layer on top of each salad. Then arrange mint, red onion, cucumbers, tomato, flat bread wedges and tzatziki sauce all around the chicken.
NOTES: For a classic Chicken Gyro Recipe, place 4 warmed flatbreads on plates. Pile each romaine, mint, red onion, cucumbers, tomato and top with chicken and tzatziki sauce.