Silky Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin, with tender morsels of cauliflower soaking in a creamy sauce.
Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin.
It’s like mac and cheese, yet subbing roasted cauliflower for the pasta.
Although I can’t in good conscience tell you this is a light recipe, using cauliflower does remove a hefty amount of carbs. It’s definitely lighter than a big dish of homemade mac and cheese.
Using cauliflower also lowers the amount of gluten, although this is not a gluten free recipe either. (Just wanted to make sure we were clear on that.)
So then what’s the point of Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin?
Well, it tastes good. Darn good.
Roasted cauliflower offers a much more intriguing flavor than plain old pasta, and ups your daily veggie intake. A win-win in my book.
With a luxurious silky texture and a crispy top, you are going to go crazy over Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin.
Better yet, your picky spouse, and even your kids are going to go crazy over it!
To make Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin, simply roast cauliflower florets in a baking dish. Then whisk together some milk, a small amount of flour, some spices, and sharp cheddar cheese.
Toss the roasted cauliflower with the milk mixture and top with panko bread crumbs. Then pop it back in the oven to allow the cauliflower to continue cooking, and the sauce to simmer and thicken.
You end up with a dish of tender cauliflower morsels bathed in a silky, creamy cheese sauce that cannot be beat.
Veggie heaven, in my opinion.
Consider serving Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin Easter Sunday, or at any Sunday supper for that matter.
Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin
Yield: 8-12 servings
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:50 minutes
Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin – A pasta free Cauliflower Mac and Cheese recipe. A cozy recipe for those on a low carb diet. Simple. Sumptuous. So delicious!
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets (about 9 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 3/4 cup sharp cheddar
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Fill of 9 X 13 inch baking dish with the cauliflower florets. Drizzle the olive oil over the top. Then roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the milk, flour, sea salt, paprika, and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Whisk well to incorporate the flour Then toss in the shredded cheese.
- Once the cauliflower is out of the oven, pour the milk mixture over the cauliflower, and toss a little to allow the cheese to work down in between the cauliflower. Then mix the panko, melted butter, and thyme together in a small bowl. Sprinkle the panko over the top of the cauliflower. Then bake another 25-30 minutes until golden on top and bubbly around the edges. Serve warm.
Yield: 8-12 servings, Serving Size: 12
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 163 Calories
- Total Fat: 9.4g
- Saturated Fat: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Sodium: 379mg
- Carbohydrates: 8.7g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sugar: 3.9g
- Protein: 6.9g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!