Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe
A bold and comforting Chicken Fried Rice Recipe for those on a low-carb or grain-free diet. This amazing Paleo Cauliflower Fried Rice is so convincing, you won’t even miss the rice!
Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe
Let me start out by saying, I love grains. And dairy.
Although I have tried the paleo diet and think of it as a very healthy option (we use it as a cleanse on occasion) I could never give up good bread, cheese, or pasta long term.
Yet it is January, and many of us are thinking along the lines of low carb… So, I’ve got a healthy paleo-friendly dinner option to share with you today.
After all, I don’t think I could stand it if I was the cause of your dietary demise… at least not today.
Paleo Cauliflower Fried Rice
Introducing Paleo Cauliflower Fried Rice.
No, not a fried rice recipe with chunks of cauliflower in it, but a dish using cauliflower as (or in place of) the rice. I promise, you’ll be shocked at how good it is.
To make cauliflower fried rice, prepare all your ingredients, just as you would for a classic fried rice recipe: beaten eggs, chopped scallions, carrots, garlic, ginger, chopped chicken, soy sauce, maybe a little chile paste.
It’s a fast and easy recipe that will fill you up, while keeping you light and lean!
Low Carb Cauliflower Fried Rice Ingredients
- Cauliflower – To take the place of the rice, making this recipe grain-free.
- Thick-cut bacon – Chopped. Use uncured organic bacon for strict paleo diets.
- Chicken breast – Sliced into thin pieces, for quick frying.
- Eggs – Beaten and flash fried.
- Freshly grated ginger – To give the stirfry a distinct Asian flavor.
- Garlic – Fresh or jarred.
- Green onions – Chop, then keep the greens and whites separated.
- Shredded carrots – Buy pre-shredded, or use a cheese grater.
- Frozen peas – English sweet peas.
- Thai basil – Or use sweet basil or cilantro.
- Soy sauce – Substitute coconut aminos for strict paleo.
- Sriracha – Or chile garlic paste.
- Lime wedges – For serving.
- Coconut oil – For frying.
How To Make Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Prep the Ingredients. Chop the bacon, chicken, and vegetables so you can work quickly once you start cooking.
- Rice the Cauliflower. Then place roughly chopped cauliflower florets in the food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is chopped to the size of rice.
- Stir fry. Flash fry the ingredients in a wok over high heat, one at a time, to keep them from over cooking. Then flash fry the cauliflower until just barely cooked through, but not mushy. Add all the ingredients into the wok and toss. Viola!
Get The Full (Printable) Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe Below!
Keto Cauliflower Fried Rice
The secret ingredient (other than the cauliflower) is bacon.
Adding a little bacon to the wok, allows it to mingle with the soy and ginger and provide that unctuous full-bodied flavor traditional fried rice offers.
It’s a mind-blowing option for low-carb dieters, and is even keto friendly!
In fact, I don’t know that I wouldn’t chose it over classic fried rice. You’ve got to try this!
Cauliflower Rice FAQ
How Do You Make Cauliflower Rice?
You need a food processor in order to grind cauliflower into small “rice” pieces.
Cut the cauliflower into florets. Then pulse them in the food processor until the pieces are small and even.
Is Cauliflower Fried Rice Gluten Free?
Yes, as long as you use gluten free soy sauce or coconut aminos, this recipe is gluten free.
Can I Make A Vegetarian Version of Cauliflower Fried Rice?
Yes. Simply, remove the chicken and bacon.
However, the bacon grease also acts as the cooking fat, so you will need to add 1-2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet.
More Low Carb Recipes You Will Love
- Perfect Baked Chicken Thighs
- Tom Yum Soup
- Black Pepper Chicken Stir Fry
- Caribbean Grilled Lamb Chops
- Baked White Fish with Everything Bagel Crust
- Muffuletta Stuffed Chicken
- Croatian Chicken Skillet
Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe
- 1 head cauliflower
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped (Uncured Organic Bacon for Strict Paleo)
- 1 pound organic chicken breast, sliced into thin pieces
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped (greens and whites separated)
- 1 cup shredded carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup chopped Thai basil, or cilantro
- 1-3 tablespoon soy sauce, substitute coconut aminos for strict paleo
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha, or chile paste
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Coconut oil, for frying
- Chop the bacon, chicken, and vegetables so you can work quickly once you start cooking. Cut the cauliflower into florets and place them in the food processor. Pulse until it roughly resembles rice.
- Heat a large wok (or skillet) over medium heat. Place a rimmed dish to the side of the wok as a holding dish. Add the bacon to the skillet and fry until brown and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in the dish.
- Add the eggs to the skillet and quickly scramble. Use your spoon to break into small pieces, then move to the holding dish. If needed add a small amount of oil to the wok.
- Turn the heat to high and add the chicken, white onion pieces, ginger, and garlic. Stir fry until the chicken is just barely cooked through, then add the carrots and cook another minute. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to the holding dish.
- Now add the cauliflower "rice" to the wok. Stir fry for 3-5 minutes until soft, but still firm. Add all the cooked ingredients back to the wok, along with the frozen peas, soy sauce to taste, and chile paste. Toss and cook until the peas are warmed through, then toss in the green onion tops and basil. Serve warm with lime wedges.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
This was amazing! Highly recommend this recipe.
This is super good, even better than the original rice recipe!
Wow – this is an amazing recipe! Love that it was low carb as well!
This recipe is so good, you totally don’t miss the rice. Thanks for the tasty Paleo recipe! Go cauliflower!!
Cauliflower rice is one of my favorite things! So is this fried rice recipe! You’re right…the bacon really does add a lot to it – I was kind of surprised!
This recipe is amazing! Do not hesitate to make this! The only thing I did differently was to put the riced cauliflower on a large flour sack towel, twist it up and wring out as much moisture as possible. My rice was not soggy in the least and some of it browned up nicely. Very, very good!
Pingback: Paleo AIP and Me: The Entrees (Part 2) – R-Mac's Yackity Yacks
Looks so yum. Love the step-by-step picture demo..:-)
this definately looks good and am gonna try it
This was so incredibly delicious! Terrific on it’s own, even though I am not Paleo. Thanks
Pingback: Paleo Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes Recipe with Scallions
Pingback: My Whole30 Essential Tools, Foods, and Recipes – Life That We Share
Pingback: You’ll never believe what this “rice” is made out of – Rare
Pingback: Exploring Paleo – Amanda Gosney
Pingback: 16 Healthy Comfort Food Recipes That Will Keep You Warm And Feeling Great
Pingback: Lemon Chicken Recipe (Paleo) - A Spicy Perspective
Pingback: A new twist to rice | Kara Davenport – Owner, Mentor, Motivator
Tried this last night, looking for something to do as a side with an “egg roll”recipe i stumbled along. This was PERFECT! I omitted the chicken, and added mushrooms, and since i made “real” rice for my husband, only used about 2 eggs. I will be adding a link to this on my blog as well! Thanks for sharing. :)
Pingback: Paleo April’s Chicken Fried Rice | Paleo Recipes
Pingback: Paleo AIP and Me: The Entrees (Part 2) | Rmac's Yackity-Yacks
Pingback: Cauliflower Stir Fry! | The Almost Fit Chick
Pingback: Paleo Kitchenaid Recipes - paleorecipesgood.net
Pingback: Paleo Recipes Cauliflower Fried Rice - paleorecipesgood.net
Pingback: Day 3: Stuck in the kitchen | countdown160
New to paleo style eating,this is a great,yummy recipe,really glad we tried it, thanks so much
I made this for myself tonight. My husband made himself Cheerios.
“You want some?” I asked, pushing the dish across the table.
“…That’s really good,” he said after tasting it. “What is it?”
“I hate it.”
Yeah, I basically am married to a seven-year-old; thanks for noticing. But anyway, this dish was bomb! Strong work!
LOL! Thanks for sharing that Jae!
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this dish. My boyfriend was very skeptical all throughout the meal preparation but started coming around when the aroma started filling the house. He was then convince after he had his first bite. He even had seconds!! total success and now he’s eager to try healthier dishes. I’m so happy :)
Pingback: Fun Five Friday
Oh yum! This dish is so full of flavor :) I can’t wait to make it myself!
Pingback: Cauliflower surprise (aka "rice") | cultiv8 healthcultiv8 health
This was. . .no, IS the most amazing dish! What a wonderful idea! Thank you so much!
I’m making this tonight! I have everything in my fridge! Go figure….
Have you calculated how many calories are in this recipe?
Hey Amanda, We don’t count calories here, but there are some great websites you can plug recipes into to find what you need.
Try this one: http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php
I made this for dinner last night and it was amazing! So fresh and yummy. No one in this house, except me, likes cauliflower, but they ate it right up and declared it delicious! I love the cilantro and lime juice which gives it an unexpected flavor. Another hit Sommer!
Welcome to the dark side, Sommer! I don’t do full paleo either but it can be sooooo delicious when it’s done right!
I love cauliflower rice, this is such a great way to dress it up!
This looks like some wonderful comfort food!
I made this for my low carbing husband tonight. I used mushrooms and broccoli instead of peas and carrots to make it really low carb. It was awesome! I don’t eat meat, but I had some ‘rice’ with soy. Loved it!
Oh Great!! Thanks for coming back to comment Kelly. It’s so nice to hear you (he) enjoyed it! :)
What a great way to do fried ‘rice’!
Looks great, will have to try this with the next cauliflower head! Also really fond of the ginger in here, I’m obsessed with it right now!
This is a fab idea , I make two things with Minced cauliflower which might interest you .Loved your site , will visit again , would really appreciate if you visit my space too at ……http://anjalisfoodkaleidoscope.blogspot.com
Sommer, hope you had a wonderful holiday!
I’m loving this dish – I need it in my life! ;-)
What a fab idea. Looks great!
I have to agree with Iron Chef Zakarian, I am so done with the Paleo Diet and all those kale dishes but I definitely will try this recipe! Thanks!!
Sounds delicious! I’d love to give this a try with the bacon.
Love this healthy take on fried rice!
It’s amazing all the forms cauliflower can hold up to! Cool “rice”!!
Oooo, what a great idea! Love everything cauliflower!!
There’s no way I’m giving up carbs…ever! I love fried rice, and, even more, I love that you added cauliflower. Yum!
Very clever. I love cauliflower. This looks delicious.
It’s on the menu for this w/end!
I am a huge fan of cauliflower dishes. This looks fantastic!
Love the flavors in the friend rice, Sommer! Also, that KitchenAid food processor is awesome! I use mine all the time!
I love carbs too! But this looks wonderful for a change :)
This looks amazing! I love that it’s paleo too!
that totally does look like rice!! i bet i wouldn’t miss it either! wow, i love this idea!! cauliflower has sooo many uses!
It’s time to dust off the wok! Great idea! This recipe is a keeper…I love how bright it looks and how healthy it is. Thank you!
Cauliflower is an amazing vegetable! This dish looks amazing!
I love cauliflower but no one else in this house does. I’m going to try this without telling them what it is and see how they like it. Did that with veggie meatballs one time and my meat-loving boys ate them up!
I keep meaning to try cauliflower rice but you’ve sold me now that you’ve turned it into fried rice!!
Love cauliflower! Great recipe!
Fabulous! Right up my family’s alley (we are not labeled anything, we just love healthy.)
Love the idea of cauliflower in place of rice in this dish!
I love playing around with cauliflower. This fried rice looks perfect for this gloomy day we’re having.
So clever Sommer! Have to try this–I’m on a big cauliflower kick lately. And never tried anything like this.
Mmm!! I love fried rice, but I also love cauliflower rice! This variation looks amazing. What great idea, Sommer!