Nothing like sweet tender carrot muffins to get you in the mood for Easter. Today I’m sharing some amazing spring muffins with a surprising glaze topping. Plus fantastic Free Easter Printables!
When I was a little girl, my mom used to hide vegetables in all sorts of dishes to make sure we were getting our daily intake.
From vegetable casserole and lasagna to vegetable muffins, she was (is) a sneaky girl.
Nowadays I do a little veggie stuffing of my own. The difference is, I don’t try to hide the veggies in my dishes. I try to showcase them.
Carrot Muffins are a marvelous way to showcase the sweetness and versatility of carrots.
The fresh earthy sweetness of carrots pairs well with a variety of flavors, from curry to pork fat.
You can almost use carrots in any dish!
Here I’ve paired them with sweet tangy pineapples and fresh grated ginger to give the carrot muffins extra sweetness and zing, then I added an element of surprise…
I topped the carrot muffins with beer glaze!
Why the beer glaze?
I promise I’m not trying to be irreverent on Easter.
If you’re not a fan of beer, you could always substitute pineapple juice in the glaze. However, I find a touch of light wheaty beer compliments the heck out of the carrot, pineapple, ginger combination.
It adds that little extra something that make these muffins really shine!
These carrot muffins are moist, hearty and unique.
I highly recommend them.
And if you like the muffin wrappers I used in the photos (and the cute little toppers) feel free to print them and use them for Easter.
Yield: 4 muffins
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
For the Carrot Muffins:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed pineapple in juices
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 Tb. fresh grated ginger *optional
- 4 Tb. melted butter
For the Beer Glaze:
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tb. beer
- 1 1/2 Tb. heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pans with paper muffin liners.
- For the carrot muffins, mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in the egg, vanilla, pineapple, carrot and ginger. Stir in the melted butter last, mix well.
- Scoop the batter evenly into 12-14 muffin liners. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin, comes out clean. Cool completely before glazing.
- Place the muffins on a wire rack. In a medium bowl, whisk the powdered sugar, beer and cream together. Use a spoon to drizzle the glaze over the top. Allow the glaze to set before serving.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
More Veggie Muffins
Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins – The Kitchen Paper
Sweet Potato Muffins – The Noble Pig
Pesto Spinach Muffins – The Candid Appetite