Crunchy Carolina Red Slaw, a kicked-up coleslaw variation you’ve got to taste!
When you hear the term red slaw, you might be tempted to think of red cabbage or even beets.
However, Carolina Red Slaw isn’t red because of the cabbage, or any other red vegetable. It’s tinted red due to the addition of ketchup!
Don’t knock it ’til you try it. This traditional southern slaw is bright, crunchy and absolutely irresistible.
Today’s Carolina Red Slaw Recipe is complements of our friends over at Okie Dokies Smokehouse in Swannanoa, North Carolina. Thanks guys!
It’s the perfect complement to southern barbecue.
Make sure to try their amazing Jalapeno Hushpuppies Recipe as well.
Carolina Red Slaw
Prep Time:20 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-3 green cabbages (5 pounds total)
- Chop the cabbage into thin strips and place in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the rest of the ingredients until smooth. Pour over the cabbage and mix well. Allow the red slaw to sit in the fridge for several hours.
Yield: 50, Serving Size: 50
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 34 Calories
- Total Fat: 0.1g
- Sodium: 205mg
- Carbohydrates: 8.5g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Sugar: 7.1g
- Protein: 0.7g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!