A fresh aromatic flatbread with a surprise stuffed into the crust. Caprese Flatbread Recipe makes a marvelous main course or party snack!
Five weeks ago I planted basil and tomato seeds in my container garden. I know it’s a bit of a risk to start seeds outside, and before tax day, but I’ve always been a risk taker. I find that eight out of ten times, my risks pay off. *wink*
After planting the seeds, I covered my large pots with gardening burlap and watered them religiously. The burlap insulates the soil to keep them warm, and protects against birds, squirrels, falling seed pods, and extreme sun. After the seedlings pop up and start to fill in the pots, I remove the burlap and let nature take its course.
I’m no master gardener by any stretch, but my little seed planting cheat, has produced several large pots full of four types of basil, and six varieties of tomatoes.
The tomato plants won’t start producing fruit for perhaps another month, but my basil is growing like weeds, and I’ve been plundering my herb pots several days a week. Fresh homegrown herbs make such a difference in any and every recipe.
There are countless things to cook with fresh tomatoes and basil. Possibly the easiest and most rewarding dish to make is a simple caprese salad with fresh tomatoes, delicate basil leaves, and tender mozzarella cheese.
We make dozen of caprese variations all summer long, yet one I’m partial to, consists of putting the caprese salad on top of pizza dough to create a flatbread.
And if the flatbread crust is stuffed with creamy herb cheese? Even better.
Today’s Caprese Flatbread Recipe is similar to a classic margarita-style pizza, with tomato slices, fragrant basil leaves, and large slices of mozzarella cheese laid over the top. However, there’s a hidden reward tucked into each bite!
After rolling out the pizza crust, I smeared creamy garlic and herb cheese spread over half of the dough, then folded the other half over the top to cover it up.
The fresh tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella are arranged on top, then the flatbread is either baked or grilled so the crust bubbles into golden perfection.
Once the Caprese Flatbread Recipe comes out of the oven, drizzle thick sweet balsamic reduction over the top. Then cut and serve.
Our caprese flatbread recipe is a great way to introduce fresh veggies to picky eaters, and can be made in a hurry. I like to serve it for Friday cocktail hour with friends, hot off the grill!
Other Caprese Recipes
Caprese Flatbread Recipe
Yield: 4-5 servings
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
Fresh and fragrant Caprese Flatbread Recipe, loaded with vine-ripened tomatoes, basil leaves, tender mozzarella balls, balsamic reduction and cheese stuffed crust.
- 16 ounce ball pizza dough, homemade or store-bought
- 5 ounces garlic and herb cheese spread (like alouette)
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large fresh mozzarella ball, sliced into rounds
- 1 bunch fresh basil, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic reduction
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella. Lay the tomato slices on paper towels to absorb some of their moisture.
- Dust a large work surface with flour. Roll and stretch the pizza dough out into a large 15 X 18 inch rectangle. Smear the garlic and herb cheese spread over half of the pizza dough, then fold the bare dough over the half with the cheese spread to cover it.
- Move the folded dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and stretch it out to a 10 X 15 inch rectangle. Arrange the tomatoes, basil leaves, and mozzarella slices on the dough. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until the crust is golden. Drizzle balsamic glaze over the flat bread, then cut and serve.
NOTE: This recipe is great on the grill! Place a baking stone over the grates and heat to high. Then slide the flatbread onto the stone and grill for 3-8 minutes, depending on your grill.
Yield: 4-5 servings, Serving Size: 5
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 574 Calories
- Total Fat: 23.4g
- Saturated Fat: 5.8g
- Cholesterol: 36mg
- Sodium: 904mg
- Carbohydrates: 79.7g
- Fiber: 7g
- Sugar: 2.3g
- Protein: 20.9g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!