Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Whiskey Cream Sauce
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time:1 hour
Cook Time:55 minutes
Rustic, yet luxurious, Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Whiskey Cream Sauce Recipe!
- 1 small butternut squash, about 1 pound
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¾ teaspoon nutmeg, cinnamon, or ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 2+ cups flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup bourbon
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh thyme leaves for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Cut the squash in half. Remove the seeds and lay on an oiled, rimmed baking sheets. Roast the squash until soft, 30-40 minutes. Scoop the flesh of the squash out and place it in the food processor. Puree until completely smooth.
- Mix the pureed squash with parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt, pepper and eggs. Then add the flour into the mixture and work together by hand. It will be very sticky.
- Once smooth, flour a work surface and a large piece of parchment paper. Flour your hands and grab a handful of dough. Roll into a long rope, about ½ inch wide. Cut the rope into ½ inch pieces.
- Place each piece in the palm of your floured hand (or on the cutting board) and gently roll with a fork to create ridges. Place each piece on the floured parchment paper and repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Boil half the gnocchi, then remove and repeat. With each batch, boil until all the gnocchi floats, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat another large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and 2 tablespoons flour, whisk until smooth. Then add the shallots and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes. Then add the bourbon and chicken stock.
- Whisk and raise heat. Bring the sauce to a boil. Allow the sauce to reduce down to a thin gravy-like consistency. Then lower the heat to medium-low and add the cream. Salt and pepper to taste—usually about 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Once the gnocchi are finished cooking, remove them with a skimmer and place them directly into the cream sauce. Stir to coat. Serve the gnocchi warm and garnish with fresh thyme leaves.
NOTE: If the cream sauce thickens too much, add a little water from the gnocchi pot to thin it out.
Yield: 4-6 servings, Serving Size: 6
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 414 Calories
- Total Fat: 12.7g
- Saturated Fat: 7.2g
- Cholesterol: 93mg
- Sodium: 801mg
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Sugar: 2.3g
- Protein: 11g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
PAGE: 1 2
The Best Gooey Butter Cake Recipe (From Scratch) Next Post
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Potato Soup