Bold and zesty Buffalo Blue Cheese Coleslaw. A great way to boost your classic coleslaw recipe this season!
Crazy about coleslaw? Me too.
In fact, I feel I can judge the overall quality of barbecue restaurants by one bite of their coleslaw. If the coleslaw is good, I figure the restaurant has promise. However if the coleslaw is lacking, I determine they’ve cut corners in other areas as well.
Coleslaw is a very easy dish to make, so there’s really no excuse for getting it wrong.
For classic coleslaw, all you need is shredded cabbage (usually green and red,) shredded carrots, and a stellar dressing. The dressing can be mayonnaise based, vinegar based, or even red slaw made with a little ketchup.
However today’s Buffalo Blue Cheese Coleslaw recipe is elevated by a vibrant dressing, sliced celery, scallions, and crumbled blue cheese.
It’s perky, a touch spicy, and bursting with chunky appeal.
Buffalo Blue Cheese Coleslaw is a fabulous side dish for casual meals, and is also a dazzling topping for sandwiches.
Try adding it to burgers and pulled pork sandwiches!
To Make Buffalo Blue Cheese Coleslaw
Start by pouring cabbage coleslaw mix into a salad bowl. Add the celery, scallions, and crumbled blue cheese.
Then whisk together chunky refrigerated blue cheese salad dressing, cayenne pepper sauce like Frank’s RedHot, and a little honey.
Pour the dressing over the veggies and toss. That’s it!
Tons of flavor, and very little effort. Just the kind of recipe we love for summer.
Buffalo Blue Cheese Coleslaw
- 1 pound shredded cabbage coleslaw mix, shredded cabbage, red cabbage and carrots
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup refrigerated chunky blue cheese salad dressing
- 3-4 tablespoons Frank's RedHot Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Place the coleslaw mix in a salad bowl. Add the sliced celery, scallions and crumbled blue cheese.
- In a small bowl mix the blue cheese dressing, 3 tablespoons hot sauce, and honey. Taste, then add another tablespoon of hot sauce if you want it a little more spicy.
- Toss the dressing into the coleslaw. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Refrigerate until ready to serve.