Forbidden Rice with Acorn Squash and Pecans
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:40 minutes
A Festive Orange and Black Halloween Rice Dish
- 1 1/2 cups black rice (wild or forbidden)
- 2 tablespoons butter (oil for Vegan)
- 2 shallots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 acorn squash, peeled seeded and diced
- Salt and Pepper
- Set a medium sauce pot over medium heat. Add the butter and shallot and saute for 2 minutes. Then add the rice and toss to coat in butter. Add the appropriate amount of water as directed on the rice package (from 3-4 cups depending on the variety of rice.) Add 1 1/2 tsp salt, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, stir, lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until cooked through–follow time directed on rice package.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Toss the peeled and diced acorn squash in oil and spread over a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes. Turn and spread the acorn squash again and roast another 10 minutes. In the last 2-3 minutes sprinkle the pecans over the acorn squash so the pieces can toast.
- Once the rice and roasted acorn squash are ready, toss together with orange zest and thyme. Then salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature!
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
Other Great Butternut Squash Dishes:
Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto ~ Just a Taste
Butternut Squash Soup ~ Inspiring the Everyday
Butternut Squash Cakes ~ The Bite House
PAGE: 1 2