The Best Classic Egg Salad Recipe: All the right ingredients in all the right proportions!
An elemental recipe often calls for a minimal amount of ingredients, yet produces the most flavorful results.
Although it is fun to take on a challenging recipe, with unusual ingredients and multiple processes to achieve a stunning reward, it is also quite refreshing to enjoy food in its simplicity. Food closest to its natural state of being.
Today’s challenge is to create an old fashioned favorite… The Best Classic Egg Salad.
Made with bright, sunny lightly chopped eggs in a simple mayonnaise dressing, studded with crunchy tidbits of celery and onion, and sprinkled with a few herbs and spices.
The perfect egg salad is chunky yet creamy. Tender and delicious.
There are a lot of variations to egg salad. Therefore our Best Classic Egg Salad Recipe may be easily changed to suit your own tastes.
The Best Egg Salad Recipe begins with the best eggs.
Try to find farm-fresh eggs from a local grower where the hens have been allowed to forage and eat what hens naturally eat. Eggs like this are by far the tastiest and most nutritious. Grocery store eggs pale in comparison, both in color and flavor.
In the past I secretly dreaded hard cooked eggs. They were difficult to peel and the yolks were often gray rimmed, dry and crumbly, and left on the plate.
I have since discovered a better way to cook them. Boil the eggs starting in cool water. Then cool the eggs quickly to ensure they separate from the membrane. This aides in easy removal from their shells to reveal bright creamy yolks.
Now there are a lot of ingredients you could add to customize The Best Classic Egg Salad Recipe. We are keeping it simple. However, feel free to add pickle relish, or any fresh herbs you like. Even sunflower seeds add a nice touch, but I will leave that up to you.
For a great sandwich just add soft bread and some fresh crisp lettuce to The Best Classic Egg Salad Recipe.
The Best Classic Egg Salad Recipe
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:10 minutes
The Best Classic Egg Salad Recipe – All the right ingredients in all the right proportions. This rich creamy egg salad is sure to be a family favorite.
- 8 hard cooked eggs, cooled, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped dill weed, or 1/4 teaspoon of dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Place the eggs in a large pot and fill with cold water until it covers the eggs by 1 inch. Put the pot on the stovetop over high heat and bring to a boil. The moment the water starts boiling, set the timer for 12 minutes. At exactly 12 minutes remove the pot from the heat, set it in the sink, and run cold water into the pot until the pot of water remains cold. Then add ice to the pot to chill the eggs all the way through. If you have time, put the eggs in the fridge for a few hours to chill – cold eggs peel easier than warm eggs.
- Tap the hard boiled eggs on the counter and roll gently to crack the shell all the way around. Peel the egg shells off. If you’re having trouble, run them under cold water as you peel.
- Chop the hard boiled eggs into small pieces. Dice the celery and onions.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined. Chill in refrigerator for 30-60 minutes to allow seasonings to mature. Garnish with chives or your favorite fresh herbs.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1/6th recipe
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 186 Calories
- Total Fat: 13.1g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 253mg
- Sodium: 666mg
- Carbohydrates: 7.9g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Sugar: 3.1g
- Protein: 9.1g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!