Best Chicken Shawarma Wrap Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
How to Make the Best Chicken Shawarma – These authentic shawarma wraps are loaded with flavorful spiced chicken (grilled or oven roasted), fresh veggies, and a tangy tzatziki sauce.
Why We Love This Chicken Shawarma Wrap Recipe
Shawarma wraps, also known as just shawarma, are a classic Middle Eastern dish that is served in a similar style to gyros. They feature a soft naan or flatbread packed with a spiced protein, then topped with chopped veggies and a creamy sauce.
What really sets shawarma apart from Greek-style gyros are the robust and aromatic Middle Eastern spices… Like vibrant cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, and a hint of cayenne pepper for some kick.
Pork, lamb, and beef shawarma are popular options for homemade wraps. However, we find that Chicken Shawarma is the best crowd-pleaser every time!
Speaking of a pleasing recipe: This is a great dish to prep ahead. Grilled chicken or oven-roasted chicken shawarma can be made a day or so before you plan to serve, and all of the other components can be prepped and ready to go. Then enjoy a hassle-free dinner, or take along for a quick and easy lunch.
- Chicken thighs – boneless and skinless
- Spices – ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked paprika, turmeric, salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper … or you can purchase a ready-to-use shawarma spice blend
- Lemon – juiced
- Olive oil – or other preferred high heat and neutral-flavored oil
And you of course need naan or flatbread and your fave toppings! We love diced fresh veggies like cucumber and tomato, plus shredded lettuce and a cool, creamy homemade tzatziki sauce.
How to Make Chicken Shawarma
Set out a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, a small mixing bowl, and a measuring cup.
Place the chicken thighs in the baking dish. Measure all the spices into the small bowl, and mix well. Then mix the lemon juice and olive oil in the measuring cup.
Toss the chicken thighs with the spice mixture, making sure to coat well on all sides. Then pour the lemon juice and olive oil over the top of the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but up to 24 hours.
When you’re ready to cook, you can choose to either grill the chicken or roast it in the oven.
Grill Method: Preheat the grill to medium heat, approximately 350°. Grill the chicken thighs for five minutes per side. Then allow them to rest for five minutes before slicing.
Oven Method: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Make sure the chicken pieces are in a single layer. Place the baking dish in the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
Once out of the oven, let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Get the Complete (Printable) Chicken Shawarma Recipe + Video Below. Enjoy!
Slice the cooked chicken thighs into thin pieces. Then serve as wraps with flatbread or naan, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and cucumbers, and tzatziki sauce.
Make Ahead Recipe and Storage Tips
Cook the chicken with your preferred method, and let cool completely. Then slice, and transfer the pieces to an airtight container.
Shred the lettuce, chop the tomatoes and cucumber, and store in another container with a lid.
Make the tzatziki sauce. I suggest mixing it together in a container that has a lid, so it’s easy to whip it up and store in just one bowl.
Keep all of the components in their individual containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to Assemble Shawarma
When ready to enjoy, first place a piece of warmed naan or flatbread on a plate. Then add lettuce as the bottom layer – this helps keep the bread moist but protected from the moisture of the other ingredients
Next add chicken and veggie toppings.
Finish the chicken shawarma with a generous dollop of tzatziki sauce.
Grab with your hands and dive in!
Frequently Asked Questions
What other proteins can be used in this recipe?
This can easily be made as a beef shawarma recipe: Simply swap chicken thighs with beef flank steak or sirloin steak. Alternatively, you can make the spiced dish with pork or traditional lamb.
Is a chicken shawarma wrap healthy?
Yes – this chicken thighs recipe is naturally low carb. Pair with gluten free naan or flatbread, or wrap in your favorite low carb tortilla for a less authentic but slightly healthier meal. Or for the healthiest option of them all, load a fresh green salad with the grilled or roasted chicken and other yummy goodies!
What do you serve with chicken shawarma?
These wraps are great to enjoy as a hearty lunch or lighter dinner. For lunch I like to pair them with Harissa Baked French Fries or Baked Turnip Fries.
And to add some oomf to the dinner table, we often serve shawarma alongside Saffron Rice with Golden Raisins and Pine Nuts or Lebanese Rice, plus pita chips with a bowl of homemade hummus.
How long do leftovers last?
The chicken will keep well for up to 3-4 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Looking For More Marvelous Middle Eastern Recipes?
- Tuna Chickpea Kofta with Harissa Yogurt Dip
- Balsamic Chicken Skewers with Israeli Couscous
- “Street Meat” Grilled Lamb Kebabs
- Beef Kafta Kabob
- Middle Eastern Deviled Eggs
Best Chicken Shawarma Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lemon juiced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 12 pieces flatbread of naan (I buy the smaller 6 inch pieces)
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 ½ cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups chopped cucumbers
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Lemon slices
- Set out a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, a small mixing bowl, and a measuring cup.
- Place the chicken thighs in the baking dish. Measure all the spices into the small bowl. Mix well. Then mix the lemon juice and olive oil in the measuring cup.
- Toss the chicken thighs with a spice mixture making sure to coat well on all sides. Then pour the lemon juice and olive oil over the top of the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but up to 24 hours.
- When you’re ready to cook, you can choose to either grill the chicken Shawarma or roast it in the oven.
- Grill Method: Preheat the grill to medium heat, approximately 350°. Grill the chicken thighs for 5 minutes per side. Then allow them to rest for five minutes before slicing.
- Oven Method: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Make sure the chicken pieces are in a single layer. Place the baking dish in the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Once out of the oven, let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- To Serve: Slice the cooked chicken thighs into thin pieces. Then serve as wraps on flatbread or naan, with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, and tzatziki sauce on top.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Love this recipe! All my favorite flavors, filling, and absolutely delicious.
Delicious! I love how healthy and easy this chicken shawarma recipe is. We can’t always grill it but it’s just as yummy in the oven!
I could eat this daily!! Love naan bread, especially when you add some meat & veggies! The cream sauce is delicious!