Cheesy Pretzel Chicken Tender Pops
Cheesy Pretzel Chicken Tender Pops – A kid-friendly recipe that is loaded with flavor and is fun to make!
It’s time for another Kitchen Conversation with Land O’Lakes! We’re talking about going back to basics for back-to-school. And, even though we don’t want to think about it YET, school is right around the corner. My family is busier than ever each fall, so I like recipes that the whole family can help prepare in a hurry.
Now that they are getting older (8 and 10,) I’ve loosened the reigns and let them take on a little more responsibility in the kitchen.
My 10 year old will come down in the morning and immediately start cracking eggs to make scrambled eggs “all by herself.”
Yes, it makes me a tab bit nervous watching her stand over the stove on a stool. I just remind myself she has been in cooking class, with mommy as the teacher, her entire life.
It’s time she’s allowed to cook certain things on her own.
Both of my kids love to help cook dinner. Especially when it’s a kid-friendly dish that is fun to make, and even more fun to eat!
We recently created these Cheesy Pretzel Chicken Tender Pops with Honey Mustard Sauce using cheese crackers, pretzels, and sweet cream Land O Lakes® Butter for a crunchy savory crust.
These baked chicken tenders are perfect for celebrating back-to-school. Can you believe summer is almost at an end? At least for school-age children.
These baked chicken tenders are so easy to make that the kids really can do it all.
(If you don’t want your little ones touching raw chicken, place the chicken tenders on the skewers before they start.)
- They can mix up the Greek yogurt “glue” and paint it on the chicken with a basting brush.
- They can pound the cheese crackers and pretzels into crumbs.
- They can hold the sticks and dip the chicken tenders into the crumbs, then dip them in melted Land O Lakes® Butter for a rich crispy crust.
- An older child can even carefully place the baking sheet in the oven.
- Once the chicken tenders are in the oven, your little one can stir up the honey mustard sauce for a completely child-made dinner.
My two babies were proud of the dinner they made… and so was mommy!
The first time we made these baked chicken tenders, we tried three crust variations: just cheese cracker breading, just pretzel breading, and a combination of both.
After tasting all three, the kids decided the cheese cracker coating made the prettiest baked chicken tenders, but the cheese and pretzel coating tasted the best and had great crunch-factor.
Cheesy Pretzel Baked Chicken Tenders on a stick, with Honey Mustard Sauce is a great meal to help your little one feel confident in the kitchen… and get mentally-prepared for back to school.
I have a feeling these will be on our menu a lot once school is back in session!
Cheesy Pretzel Chicken Tender Pops
For the Baked Chicken Tenders:
- Soak 14 skewers in water for at least 20 minutes before starting. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. In a small bowl, mix 1/3 cup yogurt with garlic powder and salt. Then place the cheese crackers and pretzels in a large zip bag and crush with a rolling pin. Pour the crumbs onto a plate or shallow rimmed dish. (You can crush them separately and pour them onto separate plates if you like.)
- Place the Half Stick of Land O Lakes® Unsalted Butter on the baking sheet and put it in the oven to melt the butter, 2-3 minutes. Once melted, tilt the baking sheet around until the melted butter has thoroughly coated the entire surface of the baking sheet.
- Insert a skewer through the center of each chicken tender, leaving the longest portion of the skewer on one end for a handle. Use a basting brush to apply a thin coat of yogurt mixture over the entire surface of each chicken tender. Then hold the handle and dip each tender in the cracker and pretzel crumbs until thoroughly coated on all sides.
- Press each chicken tender into the melted butter on the baking sheet, then flip and lay on the baking sheet so that both sides of the tender are well coated in butter, to form a crispy buttery crust. Arrange the chicken tenders on the baking sheet, alternating ends, so that all 14 are evenly spread out. Place on the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 15-17 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the ingredients for the honey mustard sauce and set aside. Serve the baked chicken tenders warm with a side of honey mustard sauce.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Disclosure: A Spicy Perspective has partnered with Land O’Lakes for an exclusive endorsement of Land O Lakes® Butter for their Kitchen Conversation blogger program. This blog post is sponsored by Land O’Lakes.