Asian Chicken Sliders with Slaw
Zesty Asian Chicken Sliders with Slaw, fabulous for parties and light summer dinners!
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with a big juicy beef hamburger. However, we like to mix things up in the burger department, especially in the summertime!
For years, I avoided all burgers made with chicken, turkey, or God forbid, fish patties. To me, they tasted lifeless and had the texture of hockey pucks due to the lack of moisture and fat.
Then one day, we were invited to a backyard barbecue at a friends house. This particular friend abstained from eating red meat as a general rule, and had quite a few tricks up her sleeve when is came to non-beef burgers.
That day she served us vegetarian bean burgers and spicy chicken burgers. I could not get over how moist and flavorful her chicken patties were and immediately started peppering her with questions.
She told me the secret to making tender juicy chicken burgers was to add rice to the patties to act as little pillows for moisture and flavor, and to also add a touch of olive oil for richness.
I was stunned… Chicken patties with richness?
Since then, I’ve made a variety of chicken burgers, mixing up the ingredients for flavor, yet always adding a cooked grain and a little olive oil.
This summer I teamed up with Bertolli® Olive Oil to spin the olive oil bottle and remix classic summer recipes. Today’s sliders recipe is a spin on classic summer burgers and nod to my friend’s classic chicken burgers. I’m serving zesty Asian Chicken Sliders with Slaw on top!
One might question the use of olive oil with Asian ingredients. Yet I find olive oil offers additional depth and rustic appeal that enhances almost every type of world cuisine.
In fact, I’ve used rich Bertolli® Olive Oil two ways in these Asian Chicken Sliders with Slaw.
You’ll find Bertolli® 100% Pure Olive Oil in and on the chicken patties and buns to provide richness and keep them from sticking to the grill. Then I used Bertolli® Extra Virgin Olive Oil in the slaw to offer a bold grassy note that balances the vinegar.
Bertolli® 100% Pure Olive Oil has a higher smoking point than extra virgin olive oil, so it tends to work better for high heat cooking and grilling over an open flame. Its mild flavor makes it a perfect cooking oil for any dish.
Bertolli® Extra Virgin Olive Oil is cold pressed with a rich earthy flavor. It is best used in cold dishes, dressings, dips, or drizzled over hot dishes right before serving.
Really, these Asian Chicken Sliders with Slaw are made better with the addition of two Bertolli® Olive Oils!
The patties are perky, juicy with little rice pockets of flavor, and a touch spicy with jalapeno speckled throughout. The Asian Slaw offers a cool crisp bite, and a bit of contrast and texture to each little slider.
All this goodness is piled on a soft warm toasted yeast bun… Mmmmmm!
Asian Chicken Sliders with Slaw are fabulous finger sandwiches for picnics, backyard parties, and quick family meals on the patio.
To make party planning easier you can make the patties up to two days ahead of time. You can also chop the ingredients for the slaw ahead of time. Then mix the asian slaw with olive oil and vinegar while the chicken burgers are on the grill!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Bertolli. The opinions and text are all mine.
Asian Chicken Sliders with Slaw
For the Asian Chicken Sliders:
- 1 pound ground chicken, or ground white meat turkey
- 1/2 cup jasmine rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons Bertolli® 100% Pure Olive Oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 12 small yeast buns, dinner rolls
- 1/2 cup wasabi mayonnaise (1/2 cup mayo + 1 teaspoon wasabi paste)
- Preheat the grill to medium heat, approximately 350 degrees F. Place the ground chicken, jasmine rice, panko, green onions, jalapeno, and ginger in a large bowl. Crack the egg into the bowl and add 1 tablespoon Bertolli® 100% Pure Olive Oil, and soy sauce. Mix the ingredients by hand until well combined.
- Scoop 3 tablespoon portions of chicken mixture and roll into tight balls. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Press the balls flat with the back of a spatula, to 1/2 inch thick. Brush the tops with olive oil.
- Cut the rolls in half and brush the insides with Bertolli® 100% Pure Olive Oil.
For the Asian Slaw:
- Mix the napa cabbage, carrots, mung bean sprouts, mango and cilantro in a medium bowl. Drizzle with rice vinegar and Bertolli® Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Toss to coat, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the buns for 1 minute. Remove from the grill. Then place the chicken patties on the grill top-side-down and grill for 2 minutes. Brush the tops of the patties with oil. Flip, and grill another 2-3 minutes.
- Smear the buns with wasabi mayo. Then add the chicken patties, and top with Asian slaw. Place the bun topper on the slaw and serve!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!