Apple Spice Coffee Cake
This warm tender Apple Spice Coffee Cake, with juicy chunks of apple throughout, makes a fabulous weekend breakfast or casual party treat!
Yay for apple season!
Here in the mountains of western North Carolina, we have apple orchards speckled all along the hillsides. In fact, the county just below us has more apple orchards per county than any other in the entire USA (including counties in Washington and Michigan.)
I love having a big bowl of apples on the counter all through the fall. Not only do they make great snacks, apples are a marvelous baking fruit. Maybe the best.
Today’s Apple Spice Coffee Cake is a fabulous apple dessert to serve with coffee at work events, at neighborhood parties, and even for breakfast.
Made with creamy Land O Lakes® Butter, it’s an ultra moist cake with layers of apples, spices, and pecans. Butter gives the cake a rich flavor and almost silky crumb. Totally divine!
I certainly feel that butter adds that extra something that make this Apple Spice Coffee Cake special.
Yet even more so, Land O Lakes has inspired me to look for ways to do positive things in our community, and offer a little joy to those who need a pick-me-up.
Our family recently started serving in a local soup kitchen to be of service to those in need, and to teach our kids that we need to think beyond ourselves.
Since we’ve started doing this, I’ve noticed small, but significant, changes in my kids. In all of us, really.
The kids look for ways to be helpful at home and with their friends. They are patient with each other. They don’t fuss (as much) when I ask them to clean up a mess of take on a chore.
They are becoming truly thoughtful individuals. When they hear someone in our neighbor is having a rough time, the kids are the first ones to suggest we bake them a cake, or invite them over for dinner.
This one little change in our family routine has spurred on all sorts of good, and as a mother, that brings joy to my heart.
This Apple Spice Coffee Cake is just the kind of treat we might take to a neighbor in need.
It’s warm and inviting. Requires only simple ingredients. Plus, it’s easy to make. When a cake looks and tastes like pure comforting luxury it can certainly raise the spirits of those who partake.
Why not find a way to contribute to your community this fall?
An easy way to start is to bake an Apple Spice Coffee Cake and share it with a friend!
Apple Spice Coffee Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sour cream or lowfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup Land O Lakes® Unsalted Butter divided (2 sticks)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 X 13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together. Melt 12 tablespoons butter and add to the mixture along with the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract. Stir well to combine.
- Stir in the diced apple. Then spread half the cake batter in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl mix the chopped pecans, brown sugar, and apple pie spice together. Sprinkle half the pecan mixture evenly over the cake batter. Then spread the remaining cake batter over the top.
- Add the remaining 4 tablespoon of butter to the remaining pecan mixture. Use your hand to mix into a paste. Drop small dollops of pecan-butter over the surface of the cake.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool before cutting.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Land O Lakes Inc. All opinions are my own.