5-Ingredient Apple Pie Cream Cheese Wontons, crispy mini pies with a twist!
When I think of apple pie, I usually envision a ceramic pie dish with piles of apple towering over the top. Although I love classic apple pie, this fall I’ve been experimenting with all sorts of apple pie variations to shake things up.
One might say, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
However, I don’t feel I’m fixing traditional apple pie. Rather, I’m using it’s essence and appeal to elevate other dishes.
Today that takes form in simple 5-Ingredient Apple Pie Cream Cheese Wontons. I’ve always felt cream cheese wontons were missing something.
Guess what… It was apples all along!
Here you’ve got the crunch and creaminess of cream cheese wontons with a bite of fresh apple pie filling to offer pop! This combination works extremely well together.
Think of it as a mash-up or fusion food… East meets West in itty bitty hand pie party poppers.
Bonus, if you missed it above, there are only 5 ingredients!
Granny Smith Apples. Butter. Wonton Wrappers. Cream Cheese. And the surprise ingredient it Apple Butter!
Musselman’s Apple Butter provides the sweetness and spice for the apple pie filling, so you don’t have to dig through your pantry for various spices, sugar, or flour.
We always have a jar (or two) of Musselman’s Apple Butter in the pantry.
I find all sorts of ways to add it in recipes to create richness and depth. Plus, Musselman’s Apple Butter is now made without high fructose corn syrup, so you can feel good about serving it to your family.
To make these crunchy Apple Pie Cream Cheese Wontons, simply saute diced apples with a little butter to soften them. Then add in apple butter to season the apples.
Lay square wonton wrappers on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place a scant cube of cream cheese in the center of each wrapper.
Then spoon a little apple pie filling over the top.
Dip your finger in water and run your finger around the edges of the wonton wrapper. Then gather the corners together and pinch.
Pinch the sides to seal the little pies, and brush the tops with butter.
My kids love baking Apple Pie Cream Cheese Wontons. They are so easy to make, they can do it themselves!
Apple Pie Cream Cheese Wontons make a wonderful addition to any fall party. They are less messy than most desserts, and easy to take with you to the office or a school event.
Try these Apple Pie Cream Cheese Wontons this season. You’ll be amazed at the difference apple pie essence can make!
Other Apple Pie Variations:
Apple Pie Cream Cheese Wontons
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- ¼ cup Musselman's Apple Butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 24 square wonton wrappers
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F. Line one large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet and set over medium heat. Add the diced apples and sauté for 5-8 minutes, until the apples are soft. Then stir in the apple butter and remove from heat.
- Cut the cream cheese into 24 scant ½ inch squares. Melt the remaining butter for brushing. Set a small bowl of water close by for dipping.
- Brush a small spot of butter on the prepared baking sheet. Place one wonton wrapper on the melted butter. Top the wonton with one cream cheese square, followed by one teaspoon of apple filling.
- Dip your finger in water and paint a thin line of water around the square edges of the wonton. Pinch two opposite corners of the wonton together. Then gather the remaining corners and pinch together in the center. Pinch all open seems closed.
- Repeat with the remaining butter, wonton wrappers, and fillings until you have 24 sealed wontons. Brush the remaining melted butter over the tops and sides of each wonton to help the wontons crisp up in the oven.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the wontons are golden and crunchy. Cool for 3-5 minutes before serving.
NOTE: You can usually find wonton wrappers in the refrigerated section of the produce department.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Musselman’s Apple Butter. All apple-loving opinions are my own.
Other Great Recipes
Perfect New England Clam Chowder Recipe Next Post
Spicy Feta Dip with Roasted Red Peppers