Air Fryer Asparagus
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Air Fried Asparagus with Spicy Garlic Butter Recipe – Learn the easy steps to cook the most tender and flavorful asparagus in the air fryer!
Why We Love This Easy Air Fryer Recipe
If you want a healthier side dish that steps away from the “usual” steamed or roasted veggies, you are going to love this easy air fryer recipe!
These Air Fryer Asparagus are crisp (without breadcrumbs) and kissed with spicy garlic butter. They are naturally gluten-free, keto-friendly and low carb, and fabulous to pair with just about any and every main dish.
The asparagus spears are air-fried for less than 10 minutes, so they reach peak tenderness without getting overly cooked, sad, and saggy. Enjoy them alongside your favorite weeknight dinner dishes for a practically effortless and healthy meal that serves up big flavors!
- Asparagus – medium-sized
- Butter – melted
- Seasonings – garlic powder, salt, and cayenne pepper (or crushed red pepper)
How to Make Crispy Asparagus in the Air Fryer
Preheat an air fryer to 400°F.
Hold a piece of asparagus near the bottom and snap off the end of the asparagus to know where the tough section begins. Then trim off the ends of the whole bunch to match the first piece. (This ensures you don’t have a tough fibrous last bite!)
Place the spears on a baking sheet.
In a small bowl, mix the melted butter garlic powder salt, and cayenne pepper. Toss the asparagus with the garlic butter mixture and coat well, so it is fully seasoned on all sides.
Place the asparagus in the air fryer basket. If the asparagus is thin, set the timer to 4 minutes. 5 minutes for average-sized asparagus. 6-7 minutes for fat asparagus.
Air fry the asparagus just long enough to be bright green and tender, but do not overcook. They should still have a bit of firmness to them.
Get the Complete (Printable) Air Fryer Asparagus Recipe Below. Enjoy!
This naturally low-carb and gluten-free veggie side dish is equally perfect to pair with both healthier and heavier mains.
Just a few of our favorite Low Carb & Keto recipes we love to enjoy with air-fried asparagus include:
- Broiled Salmon with Garlic Herb Butter
- Perfect Baked Chicken Thighs
- Skillet Steak Bites with Mushrooms
- Healthy Ground Chicken Meatloaf
And we love to serve spicy garlic asparagus with classic comfort foods, like:
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make this recipe less spicy?
For more mild yet still incredibly flavorful air fryer asparagus, simply omit the cayenne or crushed red pepper.
How long does it take to air fry asparagus?
Medium-thin asparagus need to air fry for approximately 4-5 minutes total. Thicker stalks can take up to 7 minutes in the air fryer.
Why is my asparagus not crispy?
If the asparagus is overly soft they were likely cooked for a bit too long. Be sure to check the spears after the 4-minute mark, and continue to air fry in 1-minute increments until desired tenderness is achieved.
How long do leftovers last?
Asparagus with spicy garlic butter is best to enjoy soon after it’s prepared… The spears will be most tender, crisp, and flavorful when freshly air-fried. However, leftovers will keep well for up to 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Looking for More Easy Side Dish Recipes?
- Herb Oven Roasted Potatoes and Vegetables
- The Best Grilled Vegetables Marinade
- Baked Turnip Fries (+ Air Fryer)
- Crispy Creole Roasted Zucchini
- Baked Green Beans Almondine
Air Fryer Asparagus with Spicy Garlic Butter
- 1 bunch medium-sized asparagus
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 dashes cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper
- Preheat an air fryer to 400°F.
- Hold a piece of asparagus near the bottom and snap off the end of the asparagus to know where the tough section begins. Then trim off the ends of the whole bunch to match the first piece. Place the trimmed asparagus on a baking sheet or platter.
- In a small bowl, mix the melted butter garlic powder salt and cayenne pepper. Toss the asparagus with the garlic butter mixture and coat well.
- Place the asparagus in the air fryer basket. If the asparagus is thin, set the timer on 4 minutes. 5 minutes for average sized asparagus. 6-7 minutes for fat asparagus. Air fry the asparagus just long enough to be bright green and tender, but do not overcook. It should still have a bit of firmness to it. Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Pingback: How To Make Broccoli In An Air Fryer - The Wooden Spoon Effect
Seriously, this is the best and only way I will make asparagus! Perfect every time.
I love that I can make this in the air fryer! Its incredibly delicious!!
The air fryer is my favorite way to make asparagus! Tossed in the garlic butter with a bit of spice they were fantastic!