Looking for a refreshing and unique summer beverage? This Lavender Meyer Lemon Tom Collins Cocktail is a play on the classic Tom Collins, similar to a Gin Rickey or Gimlet, with a sparkling burst of herby essence.
I’ve mentioned before, I’m not much of a drinker. Yet every now and again, my hubby and I come up with cocktail recipe that is right up my alley.
With aromatic lavender filling my flowerbeds and a little Meyer lemon tree in the backyard, it was inevitable these two would come together in a magical way.
For those (like me) who haven’t yet memorized your cocktail handbook, a Tom Collins is a cocktail made of Gin and Club Soda, sometimes with a splash of lemon juice and simple syrup. A Gin Rickey is very similar with a hefty squeeze of lime juice. A gimlet, as far as I can tell, is gin with more lemon/lime and just a touch of soda.
So I don’t know exactly what to call this, but it’s pretty spectacular.
My version of the Lavender Meyer Lemon Tom Collins Cocktail involves a homemade lavender simple syrup, gin, club soda and a generous squeeze of Meyer lemon. The bright floral flavor of the Meyer lemon, and the flowery herby essence of the lavender, are the perfect pairing with the piney juniper taste of gin. Top it off with bubbles and you have something special.
I could drink this Lavender Meyer Lemon Tom Collins Cocktail all day long… but I won’t. Somehow I’d only embarrass myself. But the smooth refreshing flavor is hard to resist.
You can make this cocktail two different ways, stirred in a glass over ice or shaken and poured into a martini glass. I prefer mine over ice, while the hubs likes his shaken, not stirred.
Either way, you will find this gin rickey-gimlet-tom collins cocktail mutation quite satisfying. They go down easy.
Probably a little too easy!
Lavender Meyer Lemon Tom Collins Cocktail
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
For the Simple Syrup:
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 bunch lavender, buds, stems and leaves (or 3 Tb. dried culinary buds)
For each Tom Collins Cocktail:
- 1 ounce lavender simple syrup
- 1 ounce Meyer lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
- 2 ounces good gin
- club soda
- Heat the water, sugar and lavender in a small pot of high heat. Bring to a low boil, then cover and remove from heat. Allow the simple syrup to steep for 20 minutes. Pour through a sieve to remove the lavender. Place the the fridge until ready to use.
- For each cocktail: Fill a glass half way with ice. Pour the simple syrup, lemon juice and gin over ice. Stir, then top with club soda.
- For a martini-style Tom Collins: Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the simple syrup, lemon and gin. Cover and shake for 30-60 seconds, until frothy. Pour into a martini glass and add 1-2 oz. of club soda.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
More Summer Beverages:
Sparkling Pineapple Mint Juice ~ Gourmande In The Kitchen
Very Berry Bellini ~ Bell Alimento
Kiwi Blackberry Sangria ~ Yummy Mummy