Not your average chicken soup recipe! This bold veggie-laden thai inspired chicken soup is a feast for the senses. Hot and steamy, with aromatic herbs and spices, and a touch of creamy coconut in the broth. Chicken Soup never had it so good.
My house is eerily quiet this week.
The kids went back to school. Our recent house guests (with two extra children + a cat) have moved out. Lt. Dan, who often works from home, has been in his office more than usual. And my dog has not been barking at every poor soul that power-walks past our fence.
This must be the calm before the storm.
You know what I’m talking about… Summer is nearly over and we’re now in the few short weeks of peaceful living, before the onslaught of escalating holiday fun and activities begin. October usually marks a 3 month rampage of head-spinning excitement around here.
I think I’m going to try to keep things on the down-low this year. Same amount of fun, less head spinning. Good plan?
Maybe I need one of those “Keep Calm” t-shirts. It should read something like, “Keep Calm , Cook On.”
Calm makes me happy.
And there’s nothing more calming than a hearty bowl of chicken soup.
This Thai Chicken Soup Recipe is bold and spicy, yet soothing. Nutrient rich, yet satisfying.
It’s the kind of soup you can feel good about serving to your family. Plus the combination of thai-inspired ingredients like coconut milk, fish sauce, ginger, and thai basil give it a delicate balance of intrigue and warming tranquility. The aroma alone is something to experience.
I love this chicken soup recipe and I hope it offers you the same comforting gratification it bring me.
Thai Chicken Soup Recipe
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced thin
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered and sliced thin
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced snap peas
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped thai basil
- 2 Tb. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 Tb. fresh grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 64 oz. chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions for garnish
- Place a large sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add both oils to the pot, followed by the onions. Saute the onions for 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly. Then add the garlic and ginger and saute for 1 more minute.
- Add the stock, coconut milk, fish sauce and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Then add the sliced chicken. Stir to separate, then simmer another 5-8 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Turn off the heat and add the red bell peppers, carrots, snap peas and basil. Cover the pot and steep the vegetable for 5 minutes, until barely cooked through, but still firm. Test for salt. Serve warm with a sprinkle of chopped green onions.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!