Easy Oven Chicken Wings that are sure to please. These sweet and spicy chicken wings with apple onion dip combine some of my favorite flavors. A unique wing recipe everyone will enjoy!
Aren’t they something?
Let me tell you, these Oven Chicken Wings taste even better than they look! Thanks to a few key ingredients…
Two Mustards. Honey (or Maple Syrup.) Caramelized Onions. Apple Butter.
Honestly, how could they not taste fabulous?
There’s a mustard made here in Asheville that is famous for its spicy heat and depth of flavor. It’s called Lusty Monk. Have you heard of it?
Lusty Monk is sort of a hometown hero and an enigma rolled into one. You’ve got to find the stuff before you can partake. Unfortunately there seem to only be a few places that carry it and sometimes they’re sold out. Even so, it’s worth store-hopping to get your hands on it.
If you are a mustard connoisseur, Lusty Monk is mind boggling good, you’ve got to try it!
These sweet and spicy Oven Chicken Wings are bathed in a sticky coating of fiery Lusty Monk, dijon, maple syrup, and sriracha chili sauce for an extra little kick in the pants.
These Oven Chicken Wings aren’t so spicy that you can’t enjoy them, but they do pack a punch!
As if that weren’t enough, I then made a savory-sweet dipping sauce with caramelized onions, greek yogurt and Musselman’s Apple Butter to accompany the Oven Chicken Wings.
The deep caramel flavor of the onions pairs perfectly with apple butter, and is nicely balanced with the tang of the yogurt.
Apple Onion Dip not only complements the spicy Oven Chicken Wings, it makes a great dip for veggies as well.
Spicy Oven Chicken Wings with Apple Onion Dip would make a fantastic snack for movie night of your next weekend get-together!
Spicy Oven Chicken Wings with Apple Onion Dip
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50
For the Spicy Oven Chicken Wings:
- 3 pounds chicken wings or drumettes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup spicy whole grain mustard (like Lusty Monk)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon sriracha chili sauce
For the Apple Onion Dip:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons Musselman's Apple Butter
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Musselman's Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Dry the chicken wings thoroughly with paper towels, then toss with oil, garlic powder, 1 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Spread evenly over the baking sheet. Bake the wings for 20 minutes. Flip, then bake another 15- 20 minutes until the skin is crisp.
- Meanwhile, whisk the mustards, maple syrup and sriracha together. Once the chicken has cooked through and the skin is crispy, pour the sauce over the chicken and toss to coat. Spread the wings back out and bake another 10 minutes.
- For the Apple Onion Dip: While the chicken is baking, place a small skillet of medium-low heat. Add the butter and onions and saute for 10-15 minutes until the onions are caramelized.
- Mix the onions with the Mussleman's apple butter, greek yogurt, dijon, and Mussleman's apple cider vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve the spicy chicken wings warm, with the apple onion dip.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!