Italian Chicken Orzo Soup
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian Seasoning
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dried orzo pasta (Could use whole grain or gluten free pasta.)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Place the butter, onions, and garlic in a large sauce pot, and set over medium heat. Saute the onions for 3 minutes to soften. Then stir in the carrots, celery, Italian Seasoning, and 1 teaspoon salt. Saute another 3-5 minutes.
- Add whole chicken breasts to the pot. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set on a cutting board. Add the orzo to the soup and stir well so it doesn't stick. Chop or shred the chicken into bite-size pieces, then return to the pot.
- When ready to serve, taste, then season with salt and pepper as needed. Stir in the fresh basil leaves and parmesan cheese. Ladle into bowls and serve warm!
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
PAGE: 1 2