Irish Pub Cheese Recipe (Beer Cheese Dip)
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Cheese and Crackers
One thing I noticed after marrying a northerner (over 20 years ago) is that restaurants in certain northern states regularly have an item on their menu that middle American restaurants don’t.
Pub cheese. Beer cheese dip. Sometimes just called “cheese and crackers.”
These are all appetizers found in casual eateries, containing a crock of creamy spreadable cheese with a distinct flavor, and something crunchy to spread it on.
The rest of us are missing out.
Sure, southerners have pimento cheese, but it’s just not the same thing.
Pub cheese is completely smooth and very bold in flavor. It’s amazing spread on crackers, pita chips, even apple slices.
Once Lt. Dan introduced me to beer cheese, I had to learn how to make it right away.
What Ingredients You Will Need
Irish Pub Cheese brings together the appeal of strikingly nutty Irish cheddar and a crisp clean Irish lager.
Today I’m sharing my quick Beer Cheese Dip Recipe made with:
- Irish Cheddar – or sharp cheddar cheese
- Cream Cheese
- Light Irish-Style Beer like Harp Lager – or a hoppy IPA
- Garlic Clove
- Ground Mustard – or a touch of Dijon mustard
It’s the easiest Irish appetizer ever. You simply place the cheddar in a food processor and grind it into small pieces. Then add the rest of the ingredients and puree until smooth. No need to make a roux or melt the cheese. This silky cheese dip is created by speed!
Using a lighter Irish-style beer like Harp, as opposed to the more popular dark stouts, means you get a light airy note of beer without overpowering the cheesy goodness.
How To Make This Pub Cheese
Instructions for the best beer cheese dip:
- Break the cheddar into chunks and place in the food processor.
- Pulse to break the cheddar up into small pieces.
- Add the 4 ounces cream cheese, beer, garlic, ground mustard, and teaspoon paprika.
- Puree until completely smooth. (Check by using a spoon to stir the mixture.)
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and puree again if needed.
- Serve and enjoy!
See The Recipe Card Below For How To Make Irish Pub Cheese. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Can Pub Cheese Be Stored In The Fridge?
If placed in an airtight container, this Pub Cheese Dip should last 7 to 10 days in the refrigerator.
Can Irish Pub Cheese Be Served Hot?
Irish pub cheese is wonderful served at room temperature.
Yes, it can absolutely be heated. Word of warning though, as it cools it might get a little gunky, so my advice would be to serve it in a small crockpot to keep it warm.
What Do I Serve With It?
Serve with pita chips, tortilla chips, bread, crackers, pretzels, soft pretzel bites, veggies (especially broccoli or cauliflower), or apple slices.
Perfect For Sharing
My whole family is crazy over Irish Pub Cheese, even the kids.
In fact, I’ve made it several times this season already, for family game day parties and neighborhood cocktail hour. It’s the perfect Instagram-worthy appetizer.
It’s a great make-ahead beer cheese sauce for any gathering!
Can I Add Salt and Pepper?
If you are not fully satisfied with the flavor, you can add salt and pepper to taste. You can even add in some garlic powder or onion powder if there is not enough zesty flavor for you. If you are looking for a kick of heat, you can add in some cayenne pepper powder.
Other Irish Recipes You Might Like:
- Pressure Cooker Corned Beef Cabbage Irish Stew
- Irish Potato Pie
- Corned Beef Pot Pies
- Irish Boxty Potato Pancake Recipe
- Irish Cabbage and Bacon Recipe
- Sweet Irish Soda Bread Recipe
- Irish Creamy Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- Chocolate Guinness Floats Recipe
- Creamed Cabbage Recipe by Allrecipes
- Shepherd’s Pie from Simply Recipes
Irish Pub Cheese Recipe
- Break the cheddar into chunks and place in the food processor. Pulse to break the cheddar up into small pieces.
- Add the cream cheese, beer, garlic, ground mustard, and paprika. Puree until completely smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl and puree again if needed. Serve with pita chips, bread, crackers, veggies, or apple slices.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!