Homemade baked mac and cheese, Italian-style! This melty oozy baked mac and cheese recipe is loaded with Italian goodies. It’s così delizioso!!
You can never have too many homemade baked mac and cheese recipes.
At least, I don’t think you can.
Mac and cheese is one of those dishes that makes any meal warm and inviting. A creamy mac and cheese makes a backyard picnic memorable and a week night meal an event.
This one dish wonder, Italian-style homemade baked mac and cheese, is a personal favorite. Classic California-made italian cheeses, fresh basil, olives, salami, and pepperoni all nestled together in one glorious gooey pasta.
I used Delallo Organic Whole Wheat Penne, because I love that the cheesy goodness collects in the penne tubes. I also love the hearty texture on whole wheat pasta and feel it holds its ground against all the prominent Italian flavors in this dish.
This is a baked mac and cheese recipe you can serve with an earthy glass of wine and a fresh green salad.
Simple rustic flavors that leave a lasting impression.
Farmhouse Touch Bowls from Villeroy & Boch.
Italian Homemade Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 1 lb. Delallo Organic Whole Wheat Pasta (I used Penne)
- 3 Tb. butter
- 1 Tb. flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups California milk
- 4 oz. California cream cheese
- 6 cups shredded California Italian cheeses (provolone, mozzarella, asiago...)
- 1 cup pitted olives
- 4 oz. salami, cut into thin strips
- 4 oz. pepperoni, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup California shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 Tb. olive oil
- Parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cook the penne in a large pot of salted water, according to package instructions. Drain and set aside in a colander.
- Using the same pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Once melted whisk in the flour and cook the roux (butter-flour mixture) for 1 minute. Then add the garlic and whisk in the milk and 4 oz cream cheese. Bring to a simmer and whisk until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Add the shredded cheese and whisk until smooth. Pour the cooked pasta, olives, sliced meat and basil. Stir to coat.
- Pour the macaroni into a 10X10 inch baking dish and sprinkle the top with panko bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Drizzle with olive oil. *For creamy baked mac and cheese, place the baked mac and cheese in the oven under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, watch carefully. You want the top to toast, but not burn. **For more a traditional "firm" baked mac and cheese recipe, bake for 20 minutes until the tops are golden.
- Once out of the oven, sprinkle the chopped parsley and serve warm.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
More Homemade Baked Mac and Cheese Recipes
Sweet Corn and Bacon Mac and Cheese – Iowa Girl Eats
Caprese Mac and Cheese – Classy Cooking
Spinach Mac and Cheese – Recipe Girl