An easy summer treat that packs a punch! Sweet grilled peaches served with candied ginger ice cream. A hot and cold experience that delights the senses.
Of all the parties we throw throughout the year, the summer parties are my favorite.
The casual attitude of a backyard gathering, the use of fresh summer produce, the fruity beverages… what’s not to love?
Plus you can do all your cooking outdoors!
Making the most of the grill is a great way to keep your party low-maintenance.
Here are some things I try to remember when grilling for a party:
- Stock up on the charcoal or propane.
- Prepare all your grill items and place them on a big tray before the guests arrive. That way, you can stand at the grill and chat, and won’t have to run in and out of the house all evening.
- Make sure to set up the bar and any children’s activities far away from the grill.
- Have a fire extinguisher on hand, just in case.
- If you are not grilling yourself, assign your most attentive friend to the grill.
- GRILL EVERYTHING! The grill is not just for meat anymore. Your green veggies, corn on the cob, bread, pizza, and potatoes taste great with a little smoky char. …And don’t forget to GRILL YOUR DESSERT!
I love throwing sweets on the grill. Fresh cut fruit, pound cake, and hand pies are all grill-friendly treats that make an impact at a party.
This easy and elegant dessert of Grilled Peaches with Ginger Ice Cream is the perfect way to end a summer soiree. As if fresh summer peaches weren’t a treat on their own, grilled peaches have an intense peachy flavor and caramelized face that makes them irresistible.
The best part about including grilled peaches in a dessert is that they take no time to prepare. Simply cut them in half, remove the pit, and place them on a hot grill, face-down. Grill 2-3 minutes per side and you’re done.
Homemade candied ginger ice cream is a brilliant pairing with sweet grilled peaches. It offers a rich creamy texture and a hint of spice. The little bits of crystallized ginger bring an unexpected pop to the classic “peaches and cream”. Ginger ice cream might just be my new favorite thing.
Make your ginger ice cream up to a week in advance and the day of the party, all you have to do is GRILL!
Grilled Peaches and Ginger Ice Cream
Yield: 6 large servings or 12 small servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes active time
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Sweet grilled peaches with homemade candied ginger ice cream
For the Ginger Ice Cream:
- 2 1/2 cups Half and Half
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1/2 - 1 cup chopped crystallized ginger
For the Grilled Peaches:
- 6 firm, but ripe, peaches
- For the Ginger Ice Cream: Place the half and half, cream, sugar, egg yolks, vanilla and salt in a medium sauce pot. Place over medium heat and whisk well. Slice the piece for fresh ginger into several slices and toss into the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a low boil, whisk well and remove from heat as soon as it thickens a little. (Watch that it doesn't boil-over.) Place a lid on the pot and allow the mixture the steep for 20+ minutes.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or over night. If in a hurry, place in the freezer for 1 hour, until cold but not frozen. Once chilled, Pour through a sieve into the bowl of an electric ice cream maker. Turn the ice cream maker on and churn until thick, 20-30 minutes. Once the ice cream in "soft-serve" consistency, pour the chopped crystallized ginger in. Add 1/2 cup if you like ginger. Add 1 cup if you LOVE ginger!
- Allow the ginger to mix through, then turn off the machine and spoon into an airtight container. Freeze until ready to serve.
- For the Grilled Peaches: Cut the peaches in half and remove the pits. Place on a hot grill, face-down. Grill 2-3 minutes per side. Serve the warm grilled peaches with a scoop of candied ginger ice cream!
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!